Fullerton College students and faculty stand together against anti-Asian racism

A Stand Against Anti-Asian Hate rally took place Thursday afternoon bringing awareness to the increase in hate-crimes against the Asian community following the start of the pandemic.

Pamela Dunsmore, APIA president and Fullerton faculty, organized the rally to show support and increase awareness toward the Asian community. She was motivated to put on the demonstration after reading news stories of different hate-crimes towards the AAPI community.

pamela
Demonstration organizer and Fullerton College faculty member Pamela Dunsmore thanking attendees for showing their support against anti-Asian hate. Sign reading, “SUPPORT ASIAN AMERICANS.” Photo credit: Myron Caringal

“I heard about this Thai man in San Francisco who was just pushed to the ground for no reason,” Dunsmore said. “I can’t believe that a member of the AAPI community would just be attacked for no reason in this way, and then Atlanta happened.”

According to a report filed by the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at Cal State, San Bernardino, hate-crimes against Asian Americans surged over 145% in 2020. The same report listed that hate- crimes against Asian Americans in Los Angeles increased to 114% last year following the start of the global pandemic.

Faculty of the Year awardee Jodi Balma standing alongside Associated Student members Erin Lacorte, ...? and Logan Veno in support of Asians and Pacific Islanders.
Fullerton College Faculty of the Year awardee Jodi Balma standing alongside Associated Student members Erin Lacorte, Urooj Naveed and Logan Veno in support of Asians and Pacific Islanders at the North Orange County Community College District Asian Pacific Islander Faculty Staff Association (APIA) sponsored Stand Against Anti-Asian Hate demonstration. Photo credit: Myron Caringal

“For an entire year, we’ve been seeing a rise in anti-Asian hate crimes and incidents, and the racism and the bigotry need to stop,” professor Jodi Balma said.

A gathering of 20 – 25 rally attendees stood on the corner of Lemon Street and Chapman Avenue’s, where they held signs as passersby honked their car horns in support. Notable people in attendance were President Greg Schulz, vice president of Student Services, Gilbert Contreras, Jr., and professor Jodi Balma.

The hour-and-a-half-long event was peaceful, and everyone wore their masks to remain COVID-19 safe.

Fullerton College Student Senator Erin Lacorte taking a selfie with FC President Greg Schulz. President Schulz has previously approved of this demonstration and stood alongside other supporters rallying against anti-Asian hate.
Fullerton College Student Senator Erin Lacorte taking a selfie with FC President Greg Schulz. President Schulz has previously approved of this demonstration and stood alongside other supporters rallying against anti-Asian hate. Photo credit: Myron Caringal

President Schulz met with city councilpersons and women in an open Zoom meeting Thursday to discuss how Fullerton can fight anti-Asian hate and racism in the community. A statewide webinar, “Silence is Violence”, will be hosted March 27 by the Coalition to address racism and hate-crime against the Asian community.

“All are invited and encouraged to be a part of the conversation,” Schulz said.

There are also national organizations that can provide further information and resources in regards to anti-Asian racism.

Fullerton College students, faculty and staff and commun
Fullerton College students, faculty, staff and members of the Fullerton community standing together against anti-Asian hate at the Fullerton College hosted demonstration along Chapman Ave. and Lemon St. Photo credit: Myron Caringal

The Stop AAPI Hate organization is where hate-crimes against members of the AAPI community are reported, categorized by the type of aggression, where the incident took place and the victim’s demographics. Between March 19, 2020, and Feb 8, 2021, nearly 3,800 reports were made. Stop AAPI Hate notes that the data they provide is not a full representation of all the country’s reports.

librarian ? as secretary? idk who the other one is?
Fullerton College Librarian Jane Ishibashi and Associated Students Vice President of Records Logan Ueno holding signs as they stand in solidarity with the Asian American and Pacific Islander community. Photo credit: Myron Caringal

Hollaback! is another resource that offers bystander intervention training and other workshops through their website. They are a global activist group to end all harassment and violence in the community.

Dunsmore commented, “We’ve experienced racism; we’ve experienced acts of violence in the past. During times of national crisis, that’s when Asian Pacific Islanders bear the brunt of hate. During those times is when we experience this rise.”