Free hot meals for Fullerton College students

Fullerton College students can grab a free hot meal up to twice a weekday with the grab-and-go meals program. The program has provided over 1600 free meals since the Fall 2021 semester started.

Fullerton College students eating free breakfast in the outside patio area of the 200 building from the grab-and-go meal program.
Fullerton College students eating free breakfast in the outside patio area of the 200 building from the grab-and-go meal program. Photo credit: Rachel Lopez

Breakfast is served 9 to 11 a.m. and lunch is served 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday to Friday daily. The meals are provided at the cafeteria located in the 200 building on campus.

All students can access a meal whether enrolled in online or on-campus classes. After checking in at the Stinger’s Café, students may head to the cafeteria, where they will enter their banner I.D. into a computer or have their student I.D. card scanned.

Students do not need to sign up in advance, which differs from accessing the Healthy-Hornet Drive-thru.

Head to the 200 building to get a grab-and-go meal.
Head to the 200 building to get a grab-and-go meal. Photo credit: Rachel Lopez

“It’s very helpful. Rent was due yesterday so, it’s tight right now,” Fullerton College student Linda Crago said.

Crago, a paralegal studies major, and her son attend Fullerton College and have utilized the service twice since the fall semester started.

Thursday, Sept. 2, Fullerton College served breakfast that included chorizo and eggs, tater tots, a flour tortilla, fruit juice, yogurt, and a fruit cup.
Thursday, Sept. 2, Fullerton College served breakfast that included chorizo and eggs, tater tots, a flour tortilla, fruit juice, yogurt, and a fruit cup. Photo credit: Rachel Lopez

The meals are served hot and differ every day. For example, Thursday’s breakfast included chorizo and eggs, a flour tortilla, tater tots, yogurt, a fruit cup, and juice or water. Vegetarian options are usually available, and food allergies can be accommodated upon request.

Student-athlete Darian Fletcher described the service as convenient because of his time constraints. Fletcher studies music and production and plays on the football team.

“It’s the only way I can eat breakfast, between meetings with my coach and classes, it’s on the way,” said Fletcher.

Sudexo employees contracted by Fullerton College prepare hot meals for students in to-go boxes, serving chorizo and eggs, tater tots, yogurt, fruit cups, and fruit juice.
Sudexo employees contracted by Fullerton College prepare hot meals for students in to-go boxes. Photo credit: Rachel Lopez

The grab-and-go meals program was launched on Mar. 24 to combat food insecurity for community college students.

“It was in response to supporting students during the pandemic who might have had financial hardships and making sure they had what they needed to be successful in the classroom. Sometimes that comes with services outside of the classroom,” Director of Campus Communications Lisa McPheron said.

McPheron explained that many students face basic needs, housing, and food insecurity which the pandemic has heightened.

Statistics taken from a the #RealCollege Survey conducted by the Hope Center in 2020 show that 39% of students at 2-year institutions face food insecurity.
Statistics taken from a the #RealCollege Survey conducted by the Hope Center in 2020 show that 39% of students at 2-year institutions face food insecurity. Photo credit: The Hope Center

Fullerton College used statistics from the #RealCollege Survey conducted by the Hope Center. According to the survey conducted in 2020, 39% of students attending a 2-year institution suffer from food insecurity. The Hope Center fears that their estimates are inaccurate because not all students complete the survey, and more students face food insecurity than their estimates show.

With funding from the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, Fullerton College has been able to provide grab-and-go meals in addition to the Healthy-Hornet Drive-thru.

Fullerton College has partnered with Pathways of Hope to successfully provide the food services available to students. Sodexo is the food services provider that is contracted by Fullerton College.

For more information on grab-and-go meals and other food services at Fullerton College, visit their website.