FC Women’s Volleyball splits double-header in their first home games of the season

Fullerton College safely welcomed masked spectators to the women’s volleyball doubleheader against Rio Hondo and Mt. Sac Friday, Sept. 3. The Hornets went in for the sting going 1-1!

Facing off against Rio Hondo (3–1), the Hornets showed that teamwork and communication make winners. The tenacious team held defense against Rio Hondo as they worked endlessly to break through the blockade but were unsuccessful, resulting in a win for the Hornets.

Freshman Alicia Isa Domingo (in the air), sets up the ball for Jade McIntyre(in front of Domingo) to spike the ball to Rio Hondo. Photo credit: Corinna Ortega

Claps, cheers, and encouragement echoed from the seats quietly at first, then more eagerly as the game progressed. The crowd was excited to be allowed back. Freshman teammate Alexa Hauser says that when it comes to seeing the crowd of fans once again, having spectators makes all the difference in how hard you push, they give you their energy, it’s a blessing.” Alex Hauser said.

Middle blockers Jade McIntyre and Alexa Hauser, aided by Alicia Isa Domingo, fiercely defended the front. Domingo stayed ready to dive for the ball so that teammates like Hannah Wilmes could set up a spike for Faith Webb.

Other members such as McKenna Mokry, Hannah Tobin], and Samantha Swanson were also in rotation to help beat Rio Hondo. Working as one mind, they intercepted Rio Hondo’s attacks and claimed victory.

This team plays for each other, so if somebody is down, we look to who is next to us and that really helps as a whole group, we are all just one big family”, disclosed sophomore member Faith Webb.

Fullerton’s next match with Mt. Sac. (1-3), deemed a bit more daunting. The opponents honed in on the hornet’s attacks and were swift in their attack.

Freshman Samantha Martinez(middle) hits the oncoming ball from Mt. Sac as her teammates rush to support her move. Photo credit: Corinna Ortega.

Fans from both teams sat wide-eyed, as everyone’s hits were too important to miss. Holding their breath in anticipation.

Tension arose between the two teams—both in a power struggle, opposing points with equal strength and strategy.

The Hornets worked tirelessly to find fault in Mt. Sac’s wall proving to be triumphant at times. Veikoso, Martinez, Tuckfield, and Mayfield strategized as best as they could to try and take the opponent down.

Sophomore Faith Webb goes to spike the ball set up by teammate Mckenna Mokry(left of Webb). While Nya Veikos and Jade McIntyre(right side, forward right) anticipate the move. Photo credit: Corinna Ortega
Sophomore Faith Webb goes to spike the ball set up by teammate Mckenna Mokry(left of Webb). While Nya Veikos and Jade McIntyre(right side, forward right) anticipate the move. Photo credit: Corinna Ortega Photo credit: Corinna Ortega

In the end, Mt. Sac broke through and took the win.

There’s a lot to learn. Yes, we beat Rio Hondo, but we have pretty high expectations for our program and our team to keep building on it. With every loss, we continue learning and growing”, stated head coach Megan Tomicic.

“We appreciate Fullerton College for taking the steps to have spectators because that’s what it’s all about and all a part of the experience, so it’s huge for us.” Coach Tomicic added.

Overall, today’s matches continue to shine a light on the season ahead. Fullerton’s Women’s Volleyball team advances with a good start, having a total of 6 wins and 2 losses overall since their start last week.