Hornets football falls short to Falcons in their second game of the season

As the heat wave starts to subside, the Hornets fell short to the Falcons on Saturday at Fullerton Union High School. The Hornets put a lot of effort throughout the first half, but their defense fell flat.

Fullerton and Cerritos College prepare for a play on Saturday at the Fullerton Union High School.
Fullerton and Cerritos College prepare for a play on Saturday at the Fullerton Union High School. Photo credit: Matthew Gonzalez

Sophomore running back Malik Winston ran a touchdown at minute 13:33 of the second quarter, and a 34-yard field goal attempt by freshman kicker Johnathan Fobear made the score 18-10 after the first half.

Fullerton College’s offense was on full display during the game, but it wasn’t enough to beat Cerritos. Fullerton had 163 passing yards, 227 rushing yards, and one interception. However, 11 penalties caused them to lose a total of 97 yards during the game.

Sophomore running backer Tyrell Greene Jr with the ball against Cerritos on Saturday at the Fullerton Union High School
Sophomore running backer Tyrell Greene Jr with the ball against Cerritos on Saturday at the Fullerton Union High School Photo credit: Aaliyah Skipper

Sophomore wide receiver Jordan Smith and freshman wide receiver Aiden Koenig ran two touchdowns to give the Hornets a 25-24 lead in the third quarter, but Cerritos managed to score a touchdown during the fourth quarter with the final score being 32-24.

“We need to re-bounce, work on maturity and just develop it, you know, just come out and prepare for practice again.” said coach Garrett Campbell. “This game could’ve gone either way. There were a handful of plays here and there and they could have gone either way. Unfortunately, Cerritos made a couple more plays than we did”

FC Coach Garrett Campbell during Saturdays game against Cerritos College at home
FC Coach Garrett Campbell during Saturdays game against Cerritos College at home Photo credit: Aaliyah Skipper

The Hornets ended the game with a total of 64 plays, 390 offensive yards and ball possession time of 24:59.

The Hornet’s quarterback duties were shared between sophomore Josh Calvin and freshman Brandon Nunez, who played a for a total four downs with four pass attempts, one completed, and 15 yards gained.

Sophomore quarter backer Josh Calvin prepares for a play against Cerritos on Saturday at Fullerton Union High School
Sophomore quarterback Josh Calvin prepares for a play against Cerritos College on Saturday at Fullerton Union High School Photo credit: Matthew Gonzalez

“It’s a typical Cerritos-Fullerton battle, and we just battled it out. It’s physical and can be a battle at times. It’s going to go back and forth and that’s exactly what happened,” said coach Campbell.

Fullerton College will face College of the Canyons next Saturday, September 17 at 6 p.m.

About the Contributor
Matthew Gonzalez
Matthew Gonzalez, Staff Photographer
Matthew Gonzalez is a third semester staff photographer for The Hornet. Aside from being a staff reporter, he is also into sports photography. Matthew's passion in sports comes from watching and covering football, soccer, and basketball. During his free time he enjoys working out or listening to music. He is a huge Taylor Swift lover. Matthew plans on transferring to Cal State Northridge next fall to get a bachelors degree in Journalism.  His end goal is to work for a newspaper company.