Men’s soccer loses first conference match against Cypress

Fullerton men’s soccer hosted their first Orange Empire Conference match of the season at home against Cypress on Tuesday, Sept. 27 resulting in a 1-0 loss.

Fullerton sophomore forward Diego Anaya defends the ball from Cypress sophomore forward Daniel Klebau during their first home conference game of the season on Tuesday, Sept, 27
Fullerton sophomore forward Diego Anaya defends the ball from Cypress sophomore forward Daniel Klebau during their first home conference game of the season on Tuesday, Sept. 27. Photo credit: Matthew Gonzalez

The Hornets’ record last season was 3-4-5 during the OEC, with one of their best games being a victorious 5-0 against Irvine Valley College.

The Hornets have been doing well in the season so far, coming into this game riding a three-game winning streak after handing the number one Fresno City College Rams (7-1-1) their first loss of the season.

Fullerton played with intensity throughout the whole game, but there was some weakness in their defense, causing them to come up short against the Chargers. Cypress sophomore forward, Raymond Ramirez, scored the first and only goal of the game during the first half.

Fullerton freshman forward Misael Gonzalez with a corner kick during second half against Cypress in their first home conference match on Tuesday, Sept. 27
Fullerton freshman forward Misael Gonzalez had a corner kick during the second half of the first home conference match against Cypress on Tuesday, Sept. 27

“I think we just got to stay focused, we started off good, but we lost a few chances we had during the game” said sophomore outside back Zachary Shankar.

Chargers freshman defender, Jack Yeager, received a yellow card for a hard tackle during a 50-50 situation, but the Hornets didn’t capitalize off of this mistake.

“Obviously, it’s an unfortunate result. We didn’t play as well as we wanted to, but the other thing we can do as a team is continue to work,” said assistant head coach Ben Rogers. “Continue to get better and learn from this experience so that we can be focused on our next game.”

Fullerton sophomore forward Nima Ahmari steals the ball from freshman defender Jack Yeager during their first home conference match against Cypress on Tuesday, Sept. 27
Fullerton sophomore forward Nima Ahmari steals the ball from Cypress freshman defender Jack Yeager during their first home conference match on Tuesday, Sept. 27. Photo credit: Matthew Gonzalez

Fullerton College goalkeeper, Jose Estrada, did his best in the box, saving three shots at goal, but allowing one shot to go in.

“We just got to keep working. We got to show up every day to practice. Put in the work, stay focus and evaluate,” said Rogers. “Obviously, we’re going to go as coaches by watching every other soccer game and see the mistakes we make and just keep going from there.”

The Hornets (4-4-2, 0-1) will play away against Santiago Canyon College (4-3-1, 0-1) on Friday, Sept. 30 at 3 p.m.

About the Contributor
Matthew Gonzalez
Matthew Gonzalez, Staff Photographer
Matthew Gonzalez is a third semester staff photographer for The Hornet. Aside from being a staff reporter, he is also into sports photography. Matthew's passion in sports comes from watching and covering football, soccer, and basketball. During his free time he enjoys working out or listening to music. He is a huge Taylor Swift lover. Matthew plans on transferring to Cal State Northridge next fall to get a bachelors degree in Journalism.  His end goal is to work for a newspaper company.