The Hornets outplay Olympians to stay undefeated

The no. 4 Hornets earned an important win, 17-7, against the no. 10 Olympians at Fullerton Union District Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 29, in a Southern California Football Association Conference showdown. The Hornets remain undefeated in conference play with a 3-0 record.

Saturday night the Hornets celebrate thier third conference victory at Fullerton High School leaving them with a current 3-0 record.
Saturday night the Hornets celebrate their third conference victory at Fullerton High School leaving them with a current 3-0 record. Photo credit: Aaliyah Skipper

Freshman quarterback Brandon Nunez began a nine-play drive from the Fullerton 25-yard line with 59 seconds remaining in the second quarter, converting to a first down, three times during the entire drive.

On a second and five play, Nunez completed a pass to sophomore wide receiver Will Gipson who ran out of bounds to stop the clock at the San Diego 46-yard line for a gain of 24 yards and a first down.

The very next play, Nunez completed a pass to freshman wide receiver Aidan Koenig, for a gain of 17 yards, stopping at the San Diego 29-yard line.

On a third and four passing play, the Olympians received a 14-yard pass interference penalty that took the Hornets to the San Diego nine-yard line, giving them a first down and putting them within field-goal range.

The Hornets weren’t able to capitalize but settled with a 20-yard field-goal from freshman kicker Jonathan Fobear for three points to take the lead 17-7.

Coach Campbell takes time to higlight the attributes of Coach Cameron giving thanks for all the contributions he made through Fullerton football's social media platform.
Coach Campbell takes time to highlight the attributes of Coach Cameron giving thanks for all the contributions he makes through Fullerton football's social media platform. Photo credit: Aaliyah Skipper

“How we get to a game plan is that we usually talk about the last four or five films. We watch their games and take into account who we have and who is healthy for us and put our players in the best positions,” said head coach Garrett Campbell.

The end of the first quarter break did not stop the Hornets momentum, as sophomore running back Tyrell Greene Jr. helped take the Hornets lead to 14-0 when he scored a touchdown on a five-yard rush during the first play of the second quarter.

During Saterday nights home game, sophomore Tyrell Greene Jr. dances his way out of the enzone post touchdown, made on a 1st and goal at the start of the second quarter.
During Saturday night's home game, sophomore Tyrell Greene Jr. dances his way out of the endzone post-touchdown, made on a 1st and goal at the start of the second quarter. Photo credit: Aaliyah Skipper

The first quarter was a one-sided affair in favor of the Hornets. After a nine-yard pass to Greene for the first down, Nunez set up a 21-yard touchdown pass to sophomore wide receiver Jordan Smith to take the lead 7-0.

“Overall, I think we did a great job, we played really tough. We missed a few shots, but I feel like we’ll come back harder next week,” said Smith.

Hornets finished the game with 178 passing yards, 163 rushing yards, and a ball possession time of 30:38.

“I thought tonight we played pretty damn tough, and there are games where you got to play tough,” said Campbell to his team during the post-game huddle. “Football is a violent game and I thought you guys played tough tonight”

After the Saterday night lights, Coach Campbell reinstance to the team the impotance of the game ball and how that plays a part in their current victory story.
After the Saturday night lights, Coach Campbell talks to the team about the importance of the game ball and how that plays a part in their current victory story. Photo credit: Aaliyah Skipper

The Hornets (7-1, 3-0) will hit the road against Saddleback College (2-6, 1-2) on Saturday, Nov. 5, at 6 p.m.

About the Contributor
Matthew Gonzalez
Matthew Gonzalez, Staff Photographer
Matthew Gonzalez is a third semester staff photographer for The Hornet. Aside from being a staff reporter, he is also into sports photography. Matthew's passion in sports comes from watching and covering football, soccer, and basketball. During his free time he enjoys working out or listening to music. He is a huge Taylor Swift lover. Matthew plans on transferring to Cal State Northridge next fall to get a bachelors degree in Journalism.  His end goal is to work for a newspaper company.