Close, but no cigar for the Hornets

Freshman Matt Romero, the starting pitcher for the Hornets takes a “no decision” during Thursday, March 23, 2023 away game. Photo credit: Gerardo Chagolla

Pedro Saravia, Staff Writer

The Hornets flew their way back into the game but could not escape Cypress with a win, falling 7-6 on the road in Thursday afternoon’s game.

The starting pitcher for the Hornets (15-11) was freshman LHP Matt Romero, who performed for six innings, giving up nine hits and five earned runs while striking out four. Romero earned a no-decision in the contest. Cypress’ starter, sophomore RHP Evan Adolphus pitched for five innings, gave up eight hits, three earned runs and recorded four punchouts. He also earned a no-decision.

The Hornets kicked the game off with a scoring opportunity in the top of the first inning. Freshman first baseman Tank Espalin led off with a single. He then stole second and reached third on a groundout to the right side of the infield from sophomore DH Niko Santamaria. However, the threat would be shut down when freshman center fielder Britton Beeson struck out to retire the side, recording the first of nine runners the Hornets would leave on base during the game.

Freshman infielder Tank Espalin slides in dangerously as he steals second base during an away game on Thursday, March 23, 2023.
Freshman infielder Tank Espalin slides in dangerously as he steals second base during an away game on Thursday, March 23, 2023. Photo credit: Gerardo Chagolla

Things heated up in the second inning for the Chargers (17-5). It started with a double by freshman shortstop Albert De La Rosa. Sophomore first baseman Aaron Perez would walk, followed by second baseman Edgar Rosales getting a base knock to left field creating a bases loaded situation with only one out.

Cypress did not miss the chance to capitalize as sophomore third baseman Isaac Rodriguez singled to right field, pushing a run across and moving the players on base from station to station. Then, freshman catcher Kane Yonamine came up and smacked a double to center field, knocking in two more runs for the Chargers.

Not satisfied and looking for more offense, sophomore center fielder Luke Honikel kept the rally alive for Cypress by scorching another double to left field, allowing Rodrigez and Yonamine to score two more runs, now putting the Chargers up 5-0 on the Hornets.

Freshman center fielder Isaiah Marquez and sophomore right fielder Jared Benash hurry to field a ball that dropped in the open space during Thursday's away game on March 23, 2023.
Freshman center fielder, Isaiah Marquez and sophomore second baseman, Jared Benash hurry to field a ball that dropped in the open space during Thursday’s away game on March 23, 2023. Photo credit: Gerardo Chagolla

“We played pretty well, we fought until the end, you know they put up five in the second, but we stayed through it, we were still grinding,” said Romero on how the game developed after the second inning.

Fullerton did not give up, starting their own scoring in the third inning as sophomore shortstop Jimmy Blumberg singled to right, then was pushed to second by another base knock from sophomore right fielder Isaiah Marquez. Santamaria came up and grounded into a fielder’s choice. The good news for the Hornets was the errant throw from the Cypress shortstop trying to turn the double play allowed Blumberg to score an unearned run from third.

In the top of the fifth inning, back-to-back singles from Blumberg and Esplain had the Hornets in business. When they took second and third base on a wild pitch, Marquez executed a big hit to right field that scored the pair, bringing the score to 5-3.

Sophomore right fielder Dean Toigo started the home half of the fifth inning with a single, followed by De La Rosa getting a base hit as well. The Chargers would stretch their lead here when an error made by the Hornet first baseman allowed Toigo to score, leaving things at 6-3 heading into the sixth.

The Hornets road to a comeback got a big start with a Beeson home run in the next half inning, forcing Cypress Manager Anthony Hutting to call for a pitching change, bringing on sophomore reliever LHP Josh Landry.

Fullerton was able to tie the game in the seventh inning thanks to the top of their lineup. It started with three straight singles from Esplain, Marquez, and Santamaria. After another Charger pitching change, Beeson selflessly grounded out to first with the bases loaded, scoring Esplain. Then, sophomore catcher Elie Kligman hit a ball deep enough to right field to register the SAC fly, driving in the game tying run in Marquez. The Hornets could not pull ahead however, as sophomore third baseman Kaipo Haole left the leading run on third with a fly out to center field.

Fullerton Manager Chad Baum switched pitchers to sophomore reliever RHP Ryan Chavez to try and keep the game tied so the Hornets hot bats could have another chance to complete the comeback.

Sophomore right hand pitcher, Ryan Chavez, closed out the game in a losing effort against the Chargers during an away game on Thursday, March 23, 2023.
Sophomore right hand pitcher, Ryan Chavez, took the loss against the Chargers in a relief role during an away game on Thursday, March 23, 2023. Photo credit: Gerardo Chagolla

However, the Chargers had other plans after the seventh inning stretch. Honikel singled then reached second on a passed ball. He then raced over to third on a sacrifice bunt from sophomore DH Cade Liefer. This left things to De La Rosa, and he mashed the clutch, 2-out single which scored Honikel from third on what would be the deciding run, bringing the scoreboard to 7-6.

The Hornets tried in the eighth and ninth inning to tie the game again, but Cypress’ third pitcher of the game, sophomore reliever RPH Logan Groff along with his defense neutralized all attempts of another comeback and closed out the game for the Chargers.

Jimmy Blumberg, sophomore shortstop, grounded out at his last at-bat against the Chargers on Thursday, March 23, 2023.
Jimmy Blumberg, sophomore shortstop, grounded out at his last at-bat against the Chargers on Thursday, March 23, 2023. Photo credit: Gerardo Chagolla

“We got to make plays and guys you know obviously this game is about hits and outs, so they got the out and we needed a hit, so we just got to find a way to get the ball a little left or little right from the shortstop,” said Baum on almost tying the game for the second time.

The Hornets next game will be their second of the 3-game series game against the Chargers, now at Fullerton on Friday Mar. 24 at 1 p.m.