Hornets strike down the hot Chargers

Freshman starting pitcher Allyson Fuentes gets the win at home on Friday, March 24, 2023, with a score of 4-1. Photo credit: Gerardo Chagolla

Quinn Cisneros, Staff Writer

The Hornets got a big win at home on Friday afternoon in conference play over their rivals, snapping the Chargers 13 game winning streak in the process taking the game, 4-1.

The game started off with a bang right out of the gate as Chargers sophomore pitcher Emily Rush hit a leadoff homerun to take an early 1-0 lead over the Hornets. Freshman starter Allyson Fuentes was able to shake off the home run and escape the inning clean of any further damage.

The Hornets would go scoreless in the first inning but would not be denied in the second inning as the bats came alive. Sophomore infielder Jocelyn Jauregui started the inning off with a single, then the star of the game came up to bat for the Hornets in sophomore third baseman Alendy Aguilar. She promptly roped an RBI triple down the right field line, scoring Jauregui to tie up the game 1-1.

Sophomore Olivia Nunez put the Hornets up with an RBI groundout that scored Aguilar from third. The inning would come to a close for the Hornets a couple of batters later, but it was a momentum shifting inning for the Hornets.

Aguilar was huge for the Hornets on the day earning player of the game status.

Aguilar went 2-3 at-bats with two RBI’s and scored a run of her own. Both hits came in a timely manner with the first RBI hit setting the tone and the second RBI hit giving the Hornets some insurance.

Freshman outfielder Haley Perez scores at the bottom of the fifth inning in a winning effort against Cypress Chargers at home on Friday, March 24, 2023.
Freshman outfielder Haley Perez scores at the bottom of the fifth inning in a winning effort against Cypress Chargers at home on Friday, March 24, 2023. Photo credit: Gerardo Chagolla

“My approach today was just keeping what my coaches have said in mind and believing in myself,” Aguilar said. “Just getting up to the plate and knowing I only need that one pitch and with that one pitch I am going to do something with it.”

The game stalled out over the next few innings with both teams struggling to find some offense with both pitchers tossing excellent games. Then the fifth inning rolled around, and it was the duo of Jauregui and Aguilar coming up clutch for the Hornets (12-4) as the pair each had an RBI hit to put the Hornets up 4-1 after five innings.

After the fifth inning it was smooth sailing for the Hornets as Fuentes breezed to yet another complete game. Fuentes (9-3) recorded three strikeouts and two walks, while also allowing six hits including the leadoff homerun to Rush which was the only run Fuentes surrendered.

Jordan Elias, the Hornet's freshman second baseman gets under the ball to make the catch and get the second out in the first inning during Friday's home game on March 24, 2023.
Jordan Elias, the Hornet's freshman second baseman gets under the ball to make the catch and get the second out in the first inning during Friday's home game on March 24, 2023. Photo credit: Gerardo Chagolla

“Beautiful, I think she had an amazing performance. She was hitting her spots, while also keeping calm in the circle. She carried us honestly,” Aguilar said of Fuentes’ pitching.

This was the first game action the Hornets had seen in almost a week, and they did not seem to miss a beat ending the Chargers (19-3) long winning streak. This kind of win meant a lot for the team.

“It was pretty awesome, ending the streak was awesome. Beating them, being prepared to come and play them like we did. It definitely felt like a championship atmosphere,” Co-Head Coach Marian Mendoza said.

Freshman utility player Cassidy Hornung throws a fielded ball to first base to get the last out and secure the victory during Friday, March 24, 2023, home game.
Freshman utility player Cassidy Hornung throws a fielded ball to first base to get the last out and secure the victory during Friday, March 24, 2023, home game. Photo credit: Gerardo Chagolla

The Chargers starter for the game was Rush who came into the game with an impressive 11-1 pitching record. The Hornets were able to hand Rush her second loss on the season. Rush went a full six innings striking out three, issuing four walks, and allowing eight hits in the losing effort.

The Chargers came into the game with a high-powered offense averaging about seven runs a game, scoring six runs against the Hornets the last time these two teams met, but seemingly never got it going after the leadoff home-run.

The Chargers left eight runners on base and were held to their second lowest scoring total on the season.

The Hornets will now hit the road to face the Santa Ana Dons (9-10) at 10 a.m. on Saturday Mar. 25.