Fullerton College Hall of Fame makes its comeback after four years to cement the legacies of former Hornet greats

The former swimmer/water polo athlete and new Hall of Famer Lindsey Rodgers spoke to attendees on the campus of Fullerton College. She was the youngest inductee of the evening on Friday, April 14, 2023. Photo credit: Gerardo Chagolla

On Friday, April 14, Fullerton College hosted its ninth Athletic Hall of Fame induction ceremony. The Hornet Heritage Foundation was established in 2005, with the purpose of “preserving the college’s athletic history while providing new opportunities to transferring student-athletes through scholarship.”

The event began with plenty of smiles and hugs as former teammates and friends reunited once again on a night when distant memories felt like it was just yesterday. From beginning to end, non-stop laughter ran through the halls of the North Gym as the former Hornets reminisced about all the fond stories they shared.

This year’s Hall of Fame was filled with various athletes from different eras and each and every one of these athletes received their deserved recognition by being cemented forever into the college’s history books.

Former Hornets get situated at their table to enjoy the evening where their accomplishments at Fullerton College will be cemented forever in history on Friday, April 14, 2023.
Former Hornets get situated at their table to enjoy the evening where their accomplishments at Fullerton College will be cemented forever in history on Friday, April 14, 2023. Photo credit: Gerardo Chagolla

Angelina Benitez, formerly Angie Baca, attended Fullerton College in 1996. She was a women’s basketball shooting guard from 1996 to 1998. Her record of 1,109 points (which still stands to this day) is what separated her from the rest of her teammates.

She recalled her favorite memory being the first game of summer league basketball with the Hornets. “I was very intimidated, coming from high school to a new environment. In my mind, I think I was lacking confidence,” she said.

“The very first game I didn’t start, and coming off the bench I scored 15 or 20 points and I started every game since then, it was that moment that changed me”.

Her extreme competitiveness is what she deemed to be the difference maker between her and her teammates.

“I did push myself to the extreme, and basketball is still the game that I absolutely love, to this day, even with my children.”

As a mother of three, Benitez stated that her favorite thing to do now is to spend time with her family.

Jeff Andrews was on the Fullerton College football team and played running back from 1988 to 1989. Andrews has record-breaking numbers that have yet to be broken.

Andrews rushed a total of 1,520 yards on 278 carries while scoring nine touchdowns in his freshman season. In his sophomore season, Andrews cemented his name in the history books, rushing 883 yards in 166 carries, bringing his career total to 2,403 yards.

Andrews quickly reminisced of fellow Fullerton College Hall of Fame member and former Head Coach Hal Sherbeck, “just being with guys, playing for coach Sherbeck. How can (you not) go out and fight?” he said.

“He was a legend. It was easy. The fire he had in his eyes. It was just easy to go out and perform.”

Jeff Andrews,Fullerton College football athlete from 1988 to 1989, was inducted into the 2023 Athletic Hall of Fame on Friday, April 14, 2023.
Jeff Andrews, Fullerton College football athlete from 1988 to 1989, was inducted into the 2023 Athletic Hall of Fame on Friday, April 14, 2023. Photo credit: Gerardo Chagolla

Andrews shared words of wisdom to the student-athletes of today stating, “Just keep working hard and never give up on your dreams. Stick to the program, do it to the fullest.”

Another Hall of Fame inductee was Lindsey Rogers, who was most known for her swimming records from 2004-2006. She was also the youngest inductee of the night.

“First of all, it’s a surprise. I was in shock. I never thought that I would be back here for something like this,” she expressed.

She credits the great, long-lasting friendships she was able to make during her time at Fullerton. “I would say meeting Tara McGinley. Her becoming my best friend after being rivals in high school,” she said. “Building that bond with her was the best and most special.”

Christine Sison, softball athlete from 1985 to 1987 (middle) at Fullerton College, was inducted into the 2023 Hall of Fame, on Friday, April 14, 2023.
Christine Sison, softball athlete from 1985 to 1987 (middle) at Fullerton College, was inducted into the 2023 Hall of Fame, on Friday, April 14, 2023. Photo credit: Gerardo Chagolla

Lisa Nelson, former athletic trainer and 2023 HOF inductee, had the audience in awe during her speech. Her inspiring story about giving CPR to a student going under cardiac arrest was just one of the good-serving moments in her career.

“Probably saving Jared Marchbanks’ life,” said Nelson about her favorite Fullerton College memory.

Lisa Davenport Nelson was inducted into the Fullerton College 2023 Athletic Hall of Fame. Nelson was an athletic trainer for FC from 1987 to 2014.
Lisa Davenport Nelson was inducted into the Fullerton College 2023 Athletic Hall of Fame. Nelson was an athletic trainer for FC from 1987 to 2014. Photo credit: Gerardo Chagolla

All of the inductees were inspirational not only in sports, but in life as being great people who contributed to change.

The event overall was very uplifting. It was a great way to honor all of those athletes who made Fullerton College a record-trendsetting school and popular for producing some really great athletes.

Attendees got to know more history about the school from these past generations and athletes. Hearing all of this year’s inductees speak so highly and appreciatively about Fullerton College made it feel that much better to be a Hornet.

At the end of the event, plenty of long emotional hugs were shared. The years might have passed on for the former Hornets, but the love and memories were not forgotten.

One phrase that was said all night, “Once a Hornet, always a Hornet.”

About the Contributors
Bryan Chavez
Bryan Chavez, Staff Reporter
Bryan Chavez is a reporter for The Hornet Newspaper. He has been on The Hornet three semesters. He is a national CMA Pinnacle award winner in best use of Short (sub-3 min) Video for News & Information, in which he received third place. Bryan is also an OEC mens soccer champion with Fullerton College. Bryan enjoys being in the classroom where he gets to learn how to improve his skills. Bryan's end goal is to become a sportscaster or a journalist. Bryan also enjoys playing soccer with his friends and going to the gym.
Evelyn Salazar
Evelyn Salazar, Staff Reporter
Evelyn Salazar is a third semester staff writer with The Hornet Newspaper. Her favorite things to do when not writing are shopping and baking delicious pastries. Her goal in journalism is to work as an interpreter in the courts system.