The Hornets show their fatigue against the Comets

Freshman catcher Serina Vue checking the runner at second during the Hornets’ losing home game on Tuesday, April 18, 2023. Photo credit: Aaliyah Skipper

Quinn Cisneros, Staff Writer

The Hornets were handed their worst loss of the season by the Comets Tuesday afternoon at home, getting mercy ruled 10-2. This contest was a make-up from a rained-out game originally set for Tuesday, March 21.

The Palomar Comets came into the game with a 29-1 record and the No.1 ranking in California according to CCCAA Softball. The Hornets had to be on their A games if they wanted to win this one.

First base freshman Meah Almaraz at bat against the number one offense in the league during the Hornets' home game loss on Tuesday, April 18, 2023.
First base freshman Meah Almaraz at bat against the number one team in the state during the Hornets’ home game loss on Tuesday, April 18, 2023. Photo credit: Aaliyah Skipper

Things got off to a great start as Hornets freshman pitcher Allyson Fuentes set the Comets down 1, 2, 3. The Hornets troubles started early in the home half of the first. Comets sophomore pitcher India Caldwell allowed two of the first three batters to reach base, but brushed it off striking back to back batters to end the threat.

It did not take long for the Comets to show why they were the No.1 team in the state. In the top of the second inning, the Comets lit Fuentes up for 5 runs, highlighted by a two run RBI triple by sophomore Elisa Haas to kick off the explosive inning for the Comets.

The Hornets yet again had two batters reach base this time with no outs in the second. Once again, Caldwell was not phased as she retired the next three batters to end the threat. That tallies four runners left on base in just two innings for Fullerton.

Freshman utility player Cassidy Hornung at-bat
Freshman utility player Cassidy Hornung at-bat against Palomar at home on Tuesday, April 18, 2023. Photo credit: Aaliyah Skipper

Both sides put up zeros in the third inning. Heading into the fourth is where things got out of hand for Fullerton as Palomar’s situational hitting and two Hornet errors made a major difference in deciding this contest. The five spot was capped off by a single that was ripped up the middle by sophomore catcher Ellison Hazlet to make the score 10-0.

The Hornets (23-11) were able to scratch across two runs in the following two innings. The first run came from an RBI single from sophomore third baseman Alendy Aguilar in the fourth, followed by an RBI single from freshman center fielder Alyssa Garcia. The Hornets could not escape the mercy rule and the game was called off following a fly out to close out the fifth inning.

Garcia was really the only bright spot for the Hornets this afternoon. Garcia went 2-3 recording an RBI single, and a double that she soon scored off of accounting for both Hornets runs.

“I knew she was a respectful pitcher, I just wanted to get my at-bats back from the last game. I knew I was going to have to come out hard in this game. I think all of us had the mentality to fight against this pitcher knowing she is such a respected pitcher in this league,” Garcia said.

The pitching certainly was the main concern as Fuentes (18-7) did not have her best stuff Tuesday afternoon, taking the loss. She went just three and a third innings, allowing eight hits, surrendering 10 runs, nine of which were earned, and striking just one batter. Freshman pitcher Dallas Garcia came in relief and pitched an inning and a third, but did not allow any further damage.

“We have to maintain both of them. We know Ally is our number 1, but Dallas does a great job of coming in. We try to keep them in an equal medium where they are both strong when we bring them in and they are both ready to go,” said Assistant Coach John Ramirez.

Ramirez also gave credit to both pitchers saying he knows they will both work hard for the team.

For the Comets, Caldwell went the full five innings, striking out eight batters, while also allowing two runs off of six hits. Caldwell’s win improved her record to 20-1 on the season.

One note for the Hornets is that Tuesday’s game was the ninth game the team has played in just seven days, leaving cause for concern on whether fatigue was starting to set in for the team.

Alyssa Caulford, the Hornets sophomore outfielder, looking to steal first base during Tuesday's losing home game on April 18, 2023.
Alyssa Caulford, the Hornets sophomore outfielder, looking to steal first base during Tuesday’s losing home game on April 18, 2023. Photo credit: Aaliyah Skipper

“I think we are all hurting, personally I am good. I think we all just need to come out with more fight, and I think I just need to play harder coming out next time,” Garcia said.

The Hornets will hit the road for their tenth game in just eight days on Wednesday April 19th at 3 p.m. They will take on the Cypress Chargers (30-6) in what could be a battle for the OEC title.