Let freedom of speech ring

Point by: Nicole King

One of the greatest rights of being in the United States is having the right to freedom of speech. However, there needs to be a line drawn between fact and opinion in the classroom.

Everyone has the right to voice their own opinions in the classroom, where students are in an environment to learn. However, the educators and professors should not state their personal views as fact unless supported by evidence.

If one is to express a certain thought that is not factual, they should disclaim that thought as their personal view. Simply stating, “this is just my opinion” justifies the entire statement.

When a professor expresses something to the class that is of their belief but states it as evidential, it should not be permitted within the learning environment.

One example is of a professor indicating a U.S. president as being an idiot during the course of teaching a lesson. Educators as such are in a work field that involves restrictions which includes the proper use of oral language coming from a professional unbiased stand point.

Within the college environment, there is a certain presence that students are no longer children, no longer under the protection of their parents but that does not mean those students are no longer sensitive to their beliefs.

The college classroom, compared to grade school classrooms, is an environment of adults with adult point of views. When a professor makes the choice to completely overlook the sensitivity of their students, that is demeaning.

College is expensive. Students are paying to get a proper education from the employees and if certain professors choose to ignore performing with unbiased professionalism, simply to express themselves or try to make a point, that is not right.

Students have the same rights as their educators and there is no excuse for any person to degrade another simply due to contradicting opinions.

Having freedom of speech, although it is a given right does not mean there needs to be a negative environment within a learning atmosphere. According to www.dictionary.com, opinions are defined as, “a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.”

Although classrooms should include personal expression and free speech, those beliefs need to remain disclosed as opinions unless it includes evidential support.

There will always be students who are too shy to speak up or voice their mind because they do not want to disrupt the rest of the class but everyone has a voice that deserves to be heard.

————————————-

Counterpoint by Rebeka Nop

Freedom of speech in the classroom is something that is very important. Students and faculty alike should feel safe and comfortable enough to express their own opinions on subject matters that is relevant to the class.

The best way to learn something is to talk it out, get ideas from one other and then do research on your own.

All professors are not created equal. Some are more vocal on their opinions on the subject matter that they are teaching than others. But are they in the wrong? No.

If a student doesn’t agree or are offended by what they are saying, the great thing about college is that one can just get up and leave, speak up or drop the class.

Contrary to popular belief, you have the right to do all of the above. After all, you’re the one paying for your education. You don’t have to “hire” that professor if you don’t agree with what they have to say.

Professors who are more out spoken, especially giving insight to what they believe is critical to the learning curve. They are masters at what they teach and most of the time, know what students can and cannot handle. The shock factor works wonders when it comes to opening up possibilities for another way of thinking.

An instructor opens up conversation by stating what they believe, which opens up thought process from others and then a discussion. A book that is required for a class will only teach so much, the professor sets up their classroom with their opinion which opens up gateways to learning what the other students think. The quiet ones may be too shy to join in on discussions but it doesn’t mean that they are not taking in the environment and forming their own thoughts and opinions on the subject.

There should be a censorship when it comes to teaching grade school but when it’s at a college level, instructors expect the students to already have some sort of opinion or belief. Their job is not to baby or spoon feed the information by censoring their opinions. They will poke and probe and take that comfort zone away in order to make a point. This will either solidify the opinions or beliefs you already have or change the perspective on everything you thought you knew.