Fullerton College Honors Student Photographers

Originally written for publishing on May 9, 2013.

One of many efforts to get students involved in the centennial celebration at Fullerton College was the Centennial Photography contest. Many students participated from Fullerton College, Fullerton Union High School District and Cypress College.

The judges for the contest were Erica Gentry, who is on the Board of Directors for the Society of Photographic Education and Davis Barber, a professional photographer and editor of the online newspaper at Fullerton Stories.

The exhibition is currently on display in the La Habra Art Gallery and will be featured from May 5th to May 30th. The exhibition not only features student work but also features past and present faculty work as well.

The opening day of the gallery on Saturday brought together community members, from both the past and present from FC. Bob Jensen, Dean of Fine Arts delivered a speech and gave credit to those who have contributed to the college.

“It’s about the remarkable people that have gone through the college,” said Jensen.

Winners for the past and present category were honored: honorable mention Jiovanny Lara, runner up Daniel Mirmontes and first place Elena Villagrana.

For the category of places: honorable mention Will Miller, runner up Beth Bauler and first place Caity Campbell.

For the category of things: honorable mention Alexia Sotelo Beyza, runner up Craige Winkler and first place Raul Gonzales.

“Pretty impressed with the photos above me I understand why they got the place they did. It wasn’t just technicality, the dynamic, range, angle and composition,” said Miller, honorable mention for places category.

Photos by the award winners are being displayed at the exhibit. Some won money and/or equipment donated from Sammy’s Photo Costa Mesa and Fullerton Camera and the Fullerton Centennial Committee.

“It’s amazing the diversity of shots and the people who took them,” said Toni Du Bois, Vice President of Student Services at Fullerton College.

Al Da Vito,former photography instructor at Fullerton College has his most recent photographs featured at the exhibit and came to the gallery opening to tell students and faculty about his experiences while he attended FC.

“Last show I had at the school hardly any one showed up and today I was surprised. The college has come a long way,” said Da Vito.

Aslo featured in the exhibit is John Humble, a past instructor who’s photography is currently on exhibition at the Getty Museum.

Matt Brown, Fullerton College alumni is also featured for his photo for Sports Illustrated and the Angels.

“We got some big time people that came from our department,” said Melody La Montia, photography instructor and advisor at Fullerton College.

This Centennial Photography Exhibit is the last event of three that the Fullerton College Centennial Photography Committee has planned. First was Faces of Fullerton and following this event was the photography contest, the winners of which are currently featured in the La Habra Art Gallery.

“It was pretty much what I expected, it was really great to see and meet John Humble and Al Da Vito and to listen to their stories when they taught at Fullerton College,” said Linda Briney, chairman of the Fullerton College Photography Centennial Committee.

The La Habra Art Gallery address is 215 N. Orange St. La Habra, Ca 90637. The exhibit will run from May 5th to May 30th, weekends only from 12-4pm.