Petty Thieves Committing Petty Crimes On Campus

Originally written for publishing on March 1, 2013.

Since the beginning of the 2013 spring semester there has been multiple reports of petty theft incidents. The crimes don’t all take place around one particular location on campus, rather, in all areas where there is an opportunity to commit the crime of petty theft.

Petty theft is property that has been stolen and is worth less than $900. Anything over the value of $900 is considered grand theft. There has only been one case of grand theft this semester. Software CD’s were taken from an instructors office earlier in the year.

According to SGT. Jim McKamy of Fullerton College Campus Safety, most cases occur when students let their guard down.

“It’s a crime of opportunity. Keep your stuff with you at all times and keep and eye on it,” said McKamy. “If you’re going to leave valuables in the car, do not leave them out in the open, put them in the trunk. If someone were looking for that opportunity and they don’t see it, they’ll move on.”

The list of items reported stolen range from electronics like cell phones and laptops, to less desirable items such as textbooks and backpacks. Anything that has a pawn or resale value to it is considered a target.

McKamy recommends that if you are in a computer lab or the library studying, make sure that you take your belongings with you if you get up for any reason. Habits like leaving your backpack behind while you go to the bathroom are not recommended.

If anyone on campus witnesses a petty theft crime, they are asked to contact Campus Safety immediately with a description of the suspect. With cameras placed in certain areas, it may be possible to locate and apprehend the thief.