Here’s a guide for what transfer students need to know

As Cal State, UC and some private universities’ application windows are now open, many students are up against the clock as they begin their transfer process. Luckily, different officials from Fullerton College and 4-year institutions have come in to provide advice on the right ways to apply for transfer.
4-year university transfer advisors attend the Transfer Fair in Fullerton Colleges main quad on Tuesday, Oct. 17, 2023. They advise students on the process of transferring to their individual institutions.
4-year university transfer advisors attend the Transfer Fair in Fullerton College’s main quad on Tuesday, Oct. 17, 2023. They advise students on the process of transferring to their individual institutions.
Pedro Saravia

Transfer season could be described as hectic. It’s a time for students to figure out their options and start their transfer applications against a ticking clock. For some students, it might be difficult to find the right path to get into the school of their choice.

University representatives came out to Fullerton College and pointed out the most common mistakes students make when applying to transfer. They offered solutions and help at the Transfer Fair on Tuesday, Oct. 17.

The University of California, Irvine assistant director of evaluation Oliver Dablos, and California State University, Fullerton representative JC Elamparo agreed that the biggest mistake students make is missing out on all the college courses they have completed, when writing their transfer application.

“If we do not get the full academic history, we may not be able to admit students properly or get the proper unit count for admission,” said Dablos.

Fullerton College students request information with one of the 4-year institutions transferring advisors present at the Transfer Fair on Tuesday, Oct. 17, 2023. (Pedro Saravia)

Elamparo added that students must also enter all the colleges they have attended in their application, and that is something many miss to do.

Transfer Center director Cecilia Arriaza explained students tend to disregard the courses they have taken in previous colleges, but the Transfer Center encourages students to reach out to their counselors in order to be correctly guided through the transferring process.

“There’s a lot of preparation students need to do. They need to research their majors and campuses they intend to apply to,” said Arriaza. “If they do not think about that until right when they are sitting down on the computer to submit their application, they are going to have a harder time.”

However, sophomore majoring in vocal music Alexa Palmer, who is planning to transfer for fall 2024, said that it helped her more to go to the actual school she is planning to transfer to and ask for their specific requirements, rather than meeting with her counselors.

“I wanted to an apply to UCI and my counselor told me to get all of my GE’s done before I transfer to UCI, but when I went to the campus and I spoke to the admissions office there, they were like, no you have to leave like at least two of your general educations not done,” said Palmer.

Vocal music student sophomore Alexa Palmer, asks for help on her transferring process with Fullerton College staff at the Transfer Fair on Tuesday, Oct. 17, 2023. (Pedro Saravia)

Coordinator of the Transfer Center, Vince White, said that the Transfer Center has plenty of information available in regard to specific schools some students want to apply for.

“The number one issue we have for transfer students is not connecting with the transfer center for guidance,” said White.

Fullerton College Adjunct Counselor Lovrina Castillo also insisted that all transferring students should meet with a counselor before applying, but many miss that opportunity. “If they’re not seeing a counselor consistently that can be a big thing, as well as assuming what friends say,” said Castillo.

Castillo also recommended all students have a counseling appointment once every semester, to have a plan set in place so they know how to reach their college goals.

“That way, if there are changes, if students change their major, or if they change what school they want to transfer to… students [can] stay on track,” said Castillo.

Students gather around the different 4-year institution transfer advisors at Fullerton College’s Transfer Fair on Tuesday Oct. 17, 2023. (Pedro Saravia)

The transfer window for fall 2024 will remain open until Nov. 30, for students willing to transfer to both CSUs and UCs. The Transfer Center offers guidance and workshops to help all students in the transferring process.