Jane Eyre: a unique set for a unique play

Fullerton College Theatre arts department will present its fall production of “Jane Eyre,” a stage adaption of Charlotte Bronte’s 1847 novel this October.

“Jane Eyre” is a novel about a young woman and the hardships she faces in life through her school years, her professional life as a governess, her romantic liaisons with her master and the fall-out of facing the truth.

In the story, the settings of the manors and houses take on a life of their own.

Thornfield is the manor in which the protagonist finds herself most of the time. The manor is described as Gothic and gloomy, large and secluded. On the contrast the grounds of Thornfield are described as vibrant and healthy. These different sceneries give way to the tone of the action throughout the play.

“I got inspiration from the story, in itself as a woman coming of age but truly it’s a love story,” said Kevin Clowes, set designer and Fullerton College professor. “I tried to meld the two and come up with a non-literal scenic atmosphere that can be used for interior and exterior scenes. So the details come in the specific units.”

Students paint set of "Jane Eyer"

Clowes described drawing inspiration from the British Victorian-era, specifically the Gothic period.

“We have three lab classes. The students come and build, paint and load the sets for both shows,” Clowes said.

The set construction has been ongoing for five weeks, with the sixth week wrapping up the construction.

Students Paint "Jane Eyer" Set

Students around the Theatre arts department are covered in paint and sawdust head to toe and loving every moment of it.

Students Paint "Jane Eyre" Set

“I have returning students who act as sort of leaders and newer students who have never picked up a hammer before this and they’re learning as they build the sets, so what you see is a truly student run production,” Clowes said.

Students paint "Jane Eyer" Set

The Fall production of “Jane Eyre” is directed by FC Theatre Professor Arlyn McDonald and runs Oct. 16 and 17 at 7 p.m. at the Fullerton College Campus Theatre.

Tickets are currently available for purchase at the campus box office. Pre-sale tickets are $12.50 and $15 at the door.

For more information go to boxoffice.fullcoll.edu