Fullerton College Club Rush goes for round two

After pairing the first iteration of AS Club Rush with FC’s celebration of Lunar New Year on Feb. 8, different clubs from Fullerton College came out again to engage with students in front of Cruz Reynoso Hall as part of an event teaming up with the Promise program.
Darren Wyatt gets student Yihan Wang excited to join the board game club during Club Rush on Wednesday, Feb. 28, 2024.
Matthew Gonzalez

Student Life and Leadership invited students to the traditionally semi-annual Club Rush for Spring 2024 on Wednesday, Feb. 28. Clubs such as the Muslim Student Association and others appeared in the Fullerton College quad to encourage fellow students to join them.

In Fullerton College president Cynthia Olivo’s weekly email titled President’s Weekly, it was mentioned this version of Club Rush would include Sweets 4 Scholars, presented by the Promise program. This additional part of Club Rush was created to provide treats to students to celebrate their successes of fall 2023. Club Rush is usually once a semester, twice a year. So far this semester, there have been two different versions of the event. Each has been presented by two different groups, and paired with other campus events to draw out more students.

“We’re just kind of a big community where we want to make sure that everyone gets together and is able to provide some support for one another and all that kind of stuff,” said Amy O’Daniel, Re-Entry Program Coordinator.

A flyer was sent out in President Cynthia Olivo’s “President’s Weekly- Student Edition” email on Monday, Feb. 26, 2024. (Fullerton College)

The Psychology Club, the Muslim Student Association, the Math Club, the Nutrition Club, the Science Club, and the Art Club were some of the organizations present at the event.

The Muslim Student Association caught students’ attention by giving free hennas, a red dye paste used to decorate the body, free candy, and stickers with the wording ‘Free Palestine’. Many students were gathered around this booth and engaged in the activities the club has to offer.

Mahmoud Khatib, president of the MSA, said he created this club to educate people about what Islam really is. “People can understand and have the knowledge of what Muslims believe because, as you know, a lot of people out in the world, they have a misconception of what’s going on,” said Khatib. “That’s why we’re here to educate people about this and gather up people to be together.”

Khatib added that half of the club time is spent educating about Islam and the other half to talk with people and enjoy the time during the club with food and games.

Some Fullerton College programs like the Re-Entry Program, the Health Care Center, Graduation Program and the “Freedom Champions” made their way to Club Rush to inform and help students who are struggling at school, or that might have a unique situation in need of support.

Brenda Martinez spoke with Isabella Hernandez about the graduation program that Fullerton College offers during the Club Rush event on campus Wednesday afternoon. (Matthew Gonzalez)

The “Freedom Champions” (Breaking the Chains) helps students who were formerly incarcerated and system-impacted get connected with resources, such as housing, food, and education.

“[Members] use their voice to help create change, to change some laws that are set in place, especially when it comes to the criminal justice system because the system is so flawed,” says Bianca Stopani, Co-President of the Freedom Champions: Breaking the Chains Club.

Christina Herrera, Peer Health Educator, from the Health Center informed students of the different health benefits that the program has to offer as well as the social groups. “We’re just trying to make students know and acknowledge the different groups and different support systems that are available to students through the Health Center,” said Herrera.

Students Jay Olneeo, Brigitte Anezcua, and Bianka Avendano learn how to build friendship bracelets as a way to spread kindness during Club Rush out in front of Cruz Reynoso Hall. (Matthew Gonzalez)

No matter who hosts the event, Club Rush provided an opportunity for all Hornets to find a group or an idea they can feel apart of.

“We are here, and we welcome anyone and whoever and any background to come and join us. Because this is something that’s totally, truly beautiful,” said Khatib.