Local chicano artist brings collection to Fullerton

A new exhibition from Frank Romero’s Hispanic weavings was on display at The Muckenthaler on Oct. 16.

The pieces on display were collected from all over Southern America for over 20 years. The vivid colors and intricate patterns covered the walls of The Muck’s gallery.

IMG_1631.JPG
Frank Romero telling visitors more about his collection

The exhibition included a piece designed by the 72-year-old Romero and two still life paintings that incorporated the weavings.

“It’s so much a part of people who live here,” said Molly McClanahan, a member of The Muckenthaler.

Romero was at the opening of the exhibition to mingle with visitors and give them more background information about each piece.

The event had a reenactment of a fandango, a traditional couples dance, performed by students from Fullerton High School’s AP Spanish class. Visitors were pulled into the circle of dancing and invited to sing along.

IMG_1613.JPG
Students from the Fullerton High School AP Spanish class performing a reenactment of a fandango

Romero had seen weavings with lovely colors and designs while spending his summers in New Mexico, which inspired him to start his collection.

He was an artist in residence at Fullerton College in 2001 and is well known in the Los Angeles area among the Latino community.

“He’s passionate about culture. Everything we do, it’s a good fit,” said Allison Town, director of marketing for The Muck.

Romero’s work was shown at The Muck’s gallery last year, when he was asked to put on another exhibition. It was then that he came up with the idea of showing his collection of weavings.

IMG_1630.JPG
A piece designed by Frank Romero (he did not actually weave this)

The rugs are usually wrapped in plastic for fear of moths getting to them so it took Romero some effort to unwrap the pieces and select a part of his collection for this exhibition.

“They will travel,” Romero said. “For the rest of 2014, the weavings will be on display at The Muck.”

Gallery tour: Thursday, Nov. 6 at 7:30 p.m.

Exhibition dates: Oct. 16 – Dec. 31.

The gallery is open Wednesday – Sunday from noon to 4 p.m. Additional hours on Thursday 5-9 p.m.