Job Fair comes to Fullerton College with endless opportunities

Bring a resume and be ready to talk to employers that are hiring, along with interviewing on the spot for jobs.
The Fullerton College Career Center will host a job fair with on-the-spot hiring possibilities, open for all students on Tuesday, April 16, inside Cruz Reynoso Hall.
Pedro Saravia

As the spring semester comes to an end and graduation approaches, some students will need employment for the summer. The Fullerton College Career Center is hosting an upcoming Job Fair at Cruz Reynoso Hall on Tuesday, April 16, from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. The fair will happen in rooms 224-226 and will have over 30 employers ready to speak with Hornets about employment opportunities.

The Career Center selected the employers that will present for the job fair, based on their proximity to campus and to the Hornet Pathways program, tailored from the Guided Pathways initiative from the state of California.

Rabia Khan, Career Center program coordinator, and German Baron, Career Center student services specialist, went out and spoke with employers to not only guarantee their attendance at the job fair, but make sure the employers are actively hiring. Some employers in attendance will hold on-the-spot interviews for applicants.

“We went to the Chamber of Commerce and introduced ourselves at City Hall,” Khan said. “We went to Downtown Fullerton, Brea Mall, we talked to the employers there and we found a lot of alumni too in the community.”

There were seven different pathways the center configured that allowed students to pick a career field based on their degree plan or certificate they are pursuing at Fullerton College.

Students in attendance will also be able to have professional headshots taken by the photography department.

Previous job fairs held on campus were outside the Cruz Reynoso building where employers were invited to pass out information about applying and hiring practices.

This job fair will differ from iterations in the past, having an inside conference room where employers who are actively hiring various positions with all types of qualifications are ready to hire after the Career Center vetted them.

On campus employment opportunities will also be available at the job fair. Students who qualify for paid work studies from Fullerton College can gain more information at the job fair.

Some students find seeking out employment to be intimidating, especially for those new to the workforce. The Fullerton College Career Center has been hosting Career Readiness Webinars for students to help build confidence and skills needed to make them stand out to employers. The four-part in person/virtual workshops were held throughout the spring semester, with one more also upcoming in May. The workshop guides students in writing a resume, interview techniques and a “dress to impress” workshop.

Another initiative the Career Center created to help improve employment opportunities for students is the Handshake program. The newly created platform allows students to make an online profile with their resumes attached. Inside the platform, messages can be sent directly to employers. As of last month, Khan said 475 students are enrolled in the program.

“I would encourage students to not miss this opportunity to gain those experiences because we’re hoping to bring the job fair again the following year,” Baron said. “This way, they have the exposure and they’ll be a lot more prepared. I think preparation is always key for any type of project.”