Measure J passes in favor of Fullerton College

It was a race too close to call until every last vote was accounted for. Measure J gets the approval after the final votes are tallied in. Finalizing in at 55.1 percent, barely surpassing it’s required 55 percent, the effects of Measure J will start going into place, but officials are waiting to see if a recount will be requested. Monday is the deadline for a voter within the North Orange County Community College District to request a recount of ballots cast for Measure J.

The Orange County Registrar of Voters Office on Nov. 18 certified its portion of the results, which included about 150,000 votes cast on the measure. On Friday, the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder’s Office certified its results to confirm the win for the college district, but could not be reached for details until Monday.

“The community understands the value of our institutions,” said Jeff Brown, NOCCCD Board of Trustees President.

Measure J is a local bond measure, in the North Orange County District, that is intended for the students and veterans services at the schools. Measure J would provide Fullerton College, Cypress College and the School of Continuing Education with $574 million dollars for significant upgrades to technical job training facilities, aging classrooms, and veteran amenities.

“It is my great hope, and that of so many students, faculty, and alumni, that at long last we will get to build a new performing arts complex south of Lemon and position our nationally recognized programs in the arts for a bright future,” said Robert Jensen, dean of the fine arts department.

The measure is set to provide up-to-date job training programs in nursing, science, technology and engineering. Such programs will supply hands-on career training to returning veteran students, in order to retrain them for the civilian workforce.

“Measure J is very important for training people in future jobs. The number one reason people want to come here [Fullerton] is for our schools and education,” said Doug Chaffee, Fullerton Mayor.

The official website for the Measure J campaign (supportourcolleges.com) released an official goal and purpose:

“Fullerton College serves many local military veterans and their families. Many of them have recently returned from war zones and face challenges including post-traumatic stress disorder and permanent disabilities. This measure will upgrade and expand veterans services and facilities to ensure that returning service members receive the support they need to complete their education and enter the civilian workforce.”

The campaign was led by local workers and volunteers from the North Orange County district which ranged from veterans, teachers, students and parents working the phone campaigning at the Measure’s several headquarters.

“We were encouraged by the early results. To have over 650 endorsements from big companies, employees and students was awesome. The campaign work was really a team effort. We owe a sincere thank you to the phone bankers, workers and volunteers for their contributions,” said Marc Poser, Measure J spokesperson and Hornet alumni.

Among the endorsers was Jodie Balma, Fullerton College professor and honors program coordinator.

“My career is driven by the desire to see students succeed. Measure J will allow us to create an environment that will make that possible,” said Balma.

The measure was listed on the ballots for the North Orange County District at the November 4 elections of 2014.