Hornets Sports Roundup (2/12)

Basketball:

The Hornets basketball team (3-21) have had a difficult season, but will look to create reason for optimism moving into next season as they head into their final three games. Sophomore forward Ryan Magee is leading the men’s team with 11 points and four rebounds per game.

The Lady Hornets basketball team (15-9) dropped four out of their last five games. However, they are looking to close the season strong against sister school Cypress and Irvine Valley College. Sophomore guard Noelle Cobb leads the way for the Lady Hornets. Cobb is the top scorer on the team, averaging 15.6 points per game.

If you want to catch either of the teams in action, their final two games will be local.

• Wednesday, Feb. 18 at @ Cypress (Men – 5 p.m. / Women – 7 p.m.)
  • Friday Feb. 20 at vs. Irvine Valley College (Men – 5 p.m. / Women – 7 p.m.)

Softball:

The team has accrued a (2-2) record over the first couple weeks and all the games have been decided by three runs or fewer. The Lady Hornets got beat in a shoot out against Mt. SAC 12-9.

Pitchers Brigid Ruiz and Evelyn Hernandez were both roughed up, each allowing six runs come across the plate. Ruiz, Felisha Sanchez and Erin Ruiz all finished with two RBIs each.

Next up the team plays Cypress. The game is Feb. 11, 3 p.m. at Cypress.

Tennis:

The men’s tennis team has won their last two matches by a combined 18-0. Blanking Victor Valley in back to back matches.

The team is led by team captain Daniel Garcia, a Sophomore from Brazil. Garcia won his last match (6-0, 6-1).

The tennis team will be back at home on Tuesday, Feb. 17 against El Camino, matches begin at 2 p.m.

Track and Field:

Both the women’s and men’s teams started the 2015 track and field season on Feb. 6, hosting Orange Coast College and Santiago College. The event was like a scrimmage for all of the teams, but two newcomers to Fullerton track and field showed a lot of promise and potential.

Braxton Word, a crossover from the football team, had a big day. In his first track and field appearance, Word ended up winning the discus and finished second place in the javelin and shot put.

On the women’s side, Sophomore Jasmine Williams, a transfer from LBCC won the 200-meter in 27.67, javelin 95’5″ (29.08 meters), long jump 16′ 2 ½” (4.94m), was second in the shot put 29′ 2 ¾” (8.91m), and was part of the 400 and 1600 relays, finishing second in the latter two events.

The next meet for the track and field team will be on Friday, Feb. 20 at OCC for the second OEC meet of the season. Field events start at 12 p.m. and track events begin at 2 p.m.