Fighting rape culture with guns is not the solution

This year, many lawmakers in various states are planning legislation that gives students the option to carry a concealed weapon on campus. The supporters of these bills are spotlighting the high rates of sexual assault on college campuses to help them pass their laws.

Carrying firearms on campus is currently banned in 41 states by law or by a university policy.

In Nevada, there is a pending bill nicknamed “Amanda’s Law” that is being pushed by Michele Fiore, Republican Assemblywoman.

The name of the bill comes from a former student of the University of Nevada Reno named Amanda Collins. Collins testified that her sexual assault could have been prevented if she were allowed a firearm on campus.

“If these young, hot, little girls on campus have a firearm, I wonder how many men will want to assault them,” Fiore told the New York Times in an interview. “The sexual assaults that are occurring would go down once these sexual predators get a bullet in their head.”

This quote shows blatant misunderstanding for sexual assault on college campuses. Calling women “young, hot, little girls” instead of just “women” is inappropriate, especially when referring to a situation related to rape.

Most sexual assaults are committed by someone the victim already knows, that being the case, it is more likely that they wouldn’t pull the trigger.

In some cases alcohol is a factor during sexual assaults, mixing that with a concealed weapon wouldn’t be safe at all.

Let’s recognize that allowing firearms on college campuses means the victim will not only have a gun readily available, but the attacker may provoke even more violence, putting more students at risk. So how is that a solution when it only causes a bigger issue?

The idea that firearms can prevent sexual assault and violence is completely misleading and misses the point that those against sexual assault are trying to make.

It’s always been about holding the attacker accountable for their actions. It’s about campuses recognizing that the way to prevent sexual assault is to put the burden on the perpetrator. It’s about teaching the attackers not to attack instead of coming up with ways for victims to not be victims.

Not only is this proposal a form of victim-blaming, it creates even more opportunity for victim-blaming.

It’s already believed that campuses are insensitive to rape victims, treating them like murderers won’t make the situation any better.

In the last two years, the feminist movement and fight against rape culture has increasingly grown.

Gun right advocates are merely using this for their own agenda. Telling a potential rape victim to carry a gun isn’t rape prevention. It’s just avoiding a solution.

You don’t have to be a victim of gun violence to understand that more guns are not the answer.