Low turnout at forum for student safety

The Fullerton College Campus Safety Department hosted two of three student forums aimed to educate on safety issues, both forums had low turnout despite an increase in student batteries on campus.

The first forum only had one student in attendance on Wednesday, March 4.

The second forum was held on Tuesday, March 10, in which no one attended.

“I am very disappointed that there was no turnout from the campus,” said Lisa McPheron, director of campus communications, who posted reminders on the college’s Facebook as well as sent emails to students to inform them of the forums.

The forums were prompted after two incidents that occurred on campus where two separate female students were the victims of sexual battery in the month of February.

A timely warning was emailed to students on Feb. 26 after a male suspect grabbed a female student’s breasts and thigh and a safety notice was emailed on Feb. 6 after a male suspect, Kevin Martinez, was arrested for allegedly groping a female student.

“We want students to know we take safety seriously,” said Rajen Vurdien, Fullerton College President. “Given what we have seen the past weeks with alerts going out, we want to make sure that students and staff are aware of what Campus Safety is doing to ensure their safety.”

Director of Campus Safety, Steve Selby, put together the forum and planned to address students with a PowerPoint informing them of the differences between alerts on campus, the Jeanne Clery Act, what Campus Safety does in emergency situations as well as a safety tip brochure and the services they offer to students.

IMG_0222.JPG
Steve Selby, director of campus safety addresses a room of one student and two FC staff on Wednesday March 4 at the first Campus Safety Forum of the semester. Photo credit: Martin Becerra

Sarah Ramirez, criminal justice major, was interested in hearing what Campus Safety had to say about the timely warnings and was the only student in attendance at the first forum.

“This was very informative and it’s disappointing to see that people don’t care to participate, after they complain how Campus Safety is awful on social media,” Ramirez said. “It’s ridiculous because they won’t see change unless they voice their opinion.”

After no participation at the second forum, Selby considered that it must be a good thing that students aren’t showing up to the forum.

He believes that it must not be a pressing issue to students because they feel safe. Selby added that his office is always available to students or staff if they have any questions or need clarification on things.

“The mission of Campus Safety really is service based,” Selby said. “It’s basically whatever a student needs’ that’s what our mission is.”

The next forum will be held on Thursday, March 12 at 2 p.m. in Room 229.

IMG_0223.JPG