A beacon of H.O.P.E. on campus

“Every two minutes someone is sexually assaulted in the United States,” reads a quote plastered on a poster located at the front of the room of the Hold on Pain Ends club meeting on Tuesday. The meeting discussed ways sexual assault can be prevented and ways students can stay safe on campus.

H.O.P.E. is a Fullerton College club that was established as a resource for victims of sexual violence.

To start the meeting, Maria Nava, H.O.P.E. club vice president, led the group in esteem building activities. The first activity taught how to reverse negative thoughts for those struggling with pessimistic self-talk. The next activity sought to inspire club members to value themselves for who they are and not to hold on to negative things others have said to them.

“We’re open to everyone. We’re not a club just for survivors of sexual assault, it is very important to spread awareness and to create a support group of people who want to fight against sexual violence together,” said Francesca Valencia, H.O.P.E. club president.

The H.O.P.E. club’s formation was inspired by Valencia and Nava’s English professor who rallied students to stand up against sexual violence.

In response to recent sexual assaults on Fullerton College campus, Valencia hopes one day a system will be set in place where students could be taught safe techniques for how to protect themselves and others in a sexually violent emergency.

“We want to provide ways to prevent these type of situations on campus,” said Nava.

“We hope students know we’re here. We partner with Fullerton College Health Services to provide free counseling, support and resources for any help a survivor may need,” said Valencia.

The H.O.P.E. club will be hosting a multitude of events on campus throughout April for Sexual Violence Awareness month.

The H.O.P.E. club meets every other Tuesday at 3 p.m. in the 200 building.

_MG_2137.JPG
Maria Nava, H.O.P.E. club vice president (Left) and Francesca Valencia, H.O.P.E. club president (Right). Photo credit: Ashlee Scoltock