Asian and Pacific Islander forum addresses academic gap

On March 25, the Asian Pacific Islander Faculty Staff Association organized a forum for students to learn more about what the organization has to offer for Fullerton College.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Students put together statistics in regards to skill, academia and transfer of Asian and Pacific Islander students.

Asian students basic skills level is at 69.6 percent, transfer to a CSU or UC is at 73.1 percent and transfer to a vocational school is at 53.1 percent. Pacific Islander students basic skills level is at 44.7 percent, transfer to a CSU or UC is at 55 percent and transfer to a vocational school is at 53.1 percent. Among API students, 43 percent are first generation college students and 66.5 percent of API students at FC have parents that do not have an associates degree or higher.

Students also spoke of the challenges they face on a local level, like the realization that false stereotypes exist as well as the lack of resources and information for scholarships and educational funding.

API students face the stereotype as the “model minority”, which leads to higher rates of mental illness to be gone undiagnosed and untreated.

There is also the stereotype of the “one minority”, in which API students can be a marginalized ethnicity.

Towards the end of the forum students were able to share their thoughts and concerns to the group. It seemed like most students agreed that there needs to be an increase in exposure and advocacy for API students on campus.

An APIA 2014-2015 Scholarship is available for students who exemplify the spirit of APIA by achieving academic excellence and demonstrating personal commitment and service to the Asian Pacific Islander community. The application deadline is Friday, April 24.