Farewell to Chris Lamm

The Fullerton College food bank is being renamed in honor of Chris Lamm, former Fullerton College professor of social sciences and child development.

Lamm and Adela Lopez, a former Social Science Ethnic Studies professor, collaborated together to create the food bank.

“Lamm saw the need for students to have this resource on campus due to witnessing some students in her classroom going hungry,” said Robert Miranda, dean of student support services.

Now every Tuesday students can receive a week’s supply of food if they show their student ID and current schedule.

“We had a spaghetti luncheon and made over 900 dollars. Sodexo gladly donated the food,” said Miranda.

The food bank runs on donations from the campus clubs, students, faculty and fundraisers.

Currently if individuals donate shoes between now and September 30 to various donation boxes around campus, the food bank will receive seventy-five cents a pound from the Salvation Army.

Lamm has served the college since 1974. She retired last spring and was honored at the 2013 commencement.

Lamm passed away June 11, 2013 in Vermont. A memorial was held shortly after on campus.

“Many people spoke to the audience about the things she was passionate about and making a difference in the world,” said Miranda.

Throughout her career she was very involved on campus life through various events such as: the annual Kindercarminata, the food bank, the faculty senate and the Umoja advisory committee and helped found the Faces of Fullerton.

“She was a very strong advocate for the food bank and many programs around campus,” said A.S. President John Ahn.

In her educational career she received a Bachelor of Science degree from Maryville College, a Master of Arts degree from Pacific Oaks College and doctorate from Claremont Graduate University.

Fullerton College President Rajen Vurdien mentions, “She was always someone who saw the good in people and believed that every person had something good to contribute to the world.”