Teacher of the Year awarded to past receipient

For the fourth time Francis Mummery a professor of economics received Fullerton College’s Teacher of the Year award on Monday March 23.

In a span of 12 years, Mummery is the first professor to receive the award four times, once in 2003, 2006 and 2008.

Director of Student Affairs, Darlene Jensen led some of the FC administrative staff including FC President Rajen Vurdien,

A few of FC administrative staff, including the President, Rajen Vuriden were led by Darlene Jensen, director of student affairs as they walked in and surprised Mummery while he was teaching his ECON 101 class.

Teacher of the Year 3-1.jpg
Professor of Economics, Francis Mummery was awarded as the 2015 Teacher of the Year as a surprise announcement during his ECON 101 class on Monday March 23. Photo credit: Christian Fletcher

“I’m speechless honestly because I love to teach it’s my passion in life,” Mummery said. “It’s so humbling when students take the time to nominate you and show their appreciation, it’s honor just to be nominated and this [winning the award] is just icing on the cake.”

As Kool & The Gang “Celebration” played in the background the staff begin to clap and cheer and startled students begin to join in once they realized what was going on.

Associated Students Senator Thor Roe handed Mummery congratulatory balloons while Vurdien announced Mummery as the winner of the award.

“Four times Teacher of the Year, a feat that no one has accomplished at Fullerton College a major accomplishment only claimed by Francis Mummery.” Vurdien said.

A campus reception will be held on the quad on Wednesday April 29 to honor Mummery and Teacher of the Year finalists.