Babbitt and Garcia Lead Hornets at Swim State Championships

Over the weekend four Hornets swimmers traveled to East Los Angels College to compete in the California Community College Athletic Association State Swimming Championships. While the team scores were not overwhelming with the men’s team finishing 29th and the women’s team finishing 25th overall, all four Hornets swam hard finishing in the top 20 of their respective events.

Men’s team captain Joe Babbitt competed in three events. The Hornets leading swimmer, who specializes in short distance events, finished 12th in the 200m freestyle, 15th in the 50m freestyle and 13th in the 100m freestyle. Babbitt wrapped up his sophomore campaign at FC strong and plans on transferring to San Diego State next semester to compete for a spot on the Aztecs swim team.

Women’s team captain Gabriella Garcia was the lone female Hornets swimmer represented at the event. Garcia finished in the top ten in the 100m freestyle, 14th in the 50m freestyle and 20th in the 200m freestyle. Although Garcia’s season is done, she will look to improve upon an already impressive showing in her freshman campaign next year.

The other two Hornets that took the pool at ELAC, Kyle Graves and Tom Beckleheimer, also cracked the top 20 all of their events. Graves placed 16th in the 100m breaststroke and 18th in the 200m breaststroke. Beckleheimer, the lone FC diver placed 12th in the 3m diving competition.

The Hornets swim team wrapped up the season in impressive fashion and will look to qualify even more swimmers for the state tournament next season, with six men and 11 of the12 women returning for their sophomore season.