Schulz to be an open book

Welcome Mr. Interim-President
Interim-President Greg Schulz poses for a picture atop the Fullerton College Seal. Photo credit: Fullerton College Administration

Greg Schulz started his term as FC’s interim president on July 1 after a unanimous vote in the North Orange County Community College District (NOCCCD) Board of Trustees in June.

Schulz may be new to the campus administration, but he is no stranger to FC; he began his college career as a Hornet in 1996 and went on to get his bachelor’s at Cal State Fullerton, his master’s at Cal State Long Beach, and his doctorate at USC.

“In my humble experience, I was a music student and eventually an accounting student, who, because of the support I had, was allowed to thrive and because of that, I became a CPA and became interim president,” Schulz said. “Really great stuff happens here. I believe that. It’s been an incredible eight weeks and I’m looking forward to a great year.”

Schulz recognized that FC has grown and changed since he was a student here. So, he started a bimonthly Open Office Hours to allow students to voice their concerns and ideas. This opportunity is in addition to the monthly open forum, but offers a more personal experience.

“This may afford a different opportunity they’re more comfortable with so we’re trying to meet people where they’re at. That’s what we try to do on the campus, understanding that everyone has a unique style and personality.”

"Rappin" with the students
Interim-President Greg Schulz sits down with students to discuss issues effecting the student body. Photo credit: Andrea Ramos

For Schulz, the most rewarding part of the job is seeing students overcome obstacles and achieve their goals, whether it’s a vocational certification, an associate’s degree, or to transfer.

“When you graduate, I graduate. As rewarding as it was for me to complete my associate’s degree or my doctorate at USC, when we get to shake your hand and cheer on you and your peers, it’s like we’re graduating all over again,” Schulz said. “We’re in the business of delivering opportunities like that to individuals and families such that when we deliver, their life is better.”

While the district holds an open search and undergoes the necessary processes of hiring a permanent president, Schulz will serve as interim president until June 30 and is “giving strong consideration to applying for the permanent appointment of President of Fullerton College.”

For more information regarding Open Office Hours and open forum days and times, contact the President’s Office at 714-992-7001.