Scott Giles appointed as athletic director of Fullerton College

Scott Giles.jpg
Scott Giles hard at work for Fullerton Athletics. Photo credit: Neddie Facio

Scott Giles has been appointed as the new permanent athletic director of Fullerton College starting this fall. Previously, the position was a faculty position that worked hand in hand with the dean of P.E. This is the first time for the athletic department of Fullerton College to have a Management position for an Athletic Director.

In the past, Giles has been an assistant athletic director during the fall semesters while passing the duties off to head football coach Tim Byrnes during the spring.

By accepting a full-time management position, Giles will no longer be a part of the faculty like he has been since 2002. The former Fullerton College “Coach of the Year,” will no longer be able to teach or coach where he has had so much success.

As the women’s tennis coach, he has sent off multiple players to the state tournament as well as winning two state championships in 2013 and 2014. Giles also was the head coach of men’s soccer from 2003 to 2007 where he led the team to a state final four appearance.

“It’s definitely going to be different. For the last 20 years I’ve always had at least a class to teach,” said Giles. “I am looking forward to the opportunity and excited to start.”

Giles has worked his way through the junior college ranks, being a product of Snow Junior College in Ephraim, Utah, before moving on to Brigham Young University. Along with that experience and being the previous assistant athletic director, Giles wants to make some changes to the athletic department.

“As a staff member, I want to reach out to the community more, our alumni and current students,” Giles said. “We have great facilities and coaches and our students will be prepared for the next step whether it be just being a student or continuing to be a student-athlete.”

There is a change in responsibility for Giles and his family, but he has no hesitation to accept what comes with the job.

“I love this school; I believe in this school. My family and I see ourselves staying here in Fullerton for 10-15 years until I am ready to call it,” said Giles.