Fullerton Women’s Soccer rallied but fell short

Freshman midfielder Haylee Goering pulled the Hornets within one goal when she headed in a corner kick with 15 minutes to play. The rally was short-lived when just five minutes later, Janeth Acuna of Rio Hondo knocked in her second goal of the game.

The game started with both teams slow in attack and looking to hold possession. Rio Hondo broke the deadlock in the 22nd minute with good build play. They extended their lead four minutes before the half when Acuna beat the defense with speed and found the back of the net.

Sophomore captain midfielder Johanna Moran pushes the ball forward in attack.
Photo credit: Chelena Gadson

Second-half action was dominated by the Hornets pressuring to get back into the game. After constant pressure the Hornets were able to create chances which eventually led to the corner when they found the net.

Nicole Garcia
Photo credit: Chelena Gadson

“The second half was a tie 1-1 when we were playing better as a team,” said head coach Pam Lewin. “We need do a better job of awarding our possession with attacking opportunities in the final third.”

Sophomore captain goalkeeper Mallory Van Voorhis kept the rally alive with a one-on-one save when the Hornets were trailing by a goal. Acuna broke away from the defense only to have her shot blocked by Van Voorhis.

Sophomore Captain goalkeeper Mallory Van Voorhis
Photo credit: Chelena Gadson

“We tried to push a midfielder up today to create more chances- something we will look at more in practice to prepare for the rest of the season. We have a young team that will learn as the season progresses,” said Lewin.

Team 2
Photo credit: Chelena Gadson

The Hornets ended non-league play (0-3-1) and start league play next week opening on the road against Norco, September 15th at 3 p.m.