Quadchella to get Hornets buzzing

What’s a better way to spend a Thursday evening than at Quadchella with live music, free food and fun activities?!

Fullerton College Associated Students hosted its first Quadchella music festival on Thursday, September 17 from 4:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in the quad.

quadchella.jpg
Fullerton College's Associated Students held their first-ever Quadchella music festival on September 17, 2015 in the Fullerton College quad.

Quadchella is the first-ever music festival held on campus. According to the Chair of Publicity Committee Whitney Dunkle, this type of event has never been so much as planned before.

This event was inspired by Coachella, a large two-weekend long annual music and arts festival. According to Goldenvoice, a company that promotes concerts and festivals across the U.S., 180,000 people attended Coachella in 2013.

A.S. intended for Quadchella to have the same atmosphere as Coachella, but minus the high ticket prices and instead with free admission. Free pizza and drinks were also offered to students who have A.S. benefits, otherwise slices could be purchased for $3 per slice.

Similar to Coachella, Quadchella brought in a variety of talented musical performances along with other entertainment that anyone could enjoy, such as face painting and T-shirt printing. In fact, most of the entertainment and activities that were at the event were Fullerton College clubs and teams. The face painting was courtesy of “Trendsetters” from the Cosmetology Department and two of the musical performances, K.A.I.A. and MoBuenoz, are both Fullerton College students.

Many genres of music were performed from rap to alternative, so there was something for everyone to sing and dance to.

At 4:30 p.m., a crowd of students gathered around the main stage as musical performer K.A.I.A. opened up for Quadchella.

KAIA gets the party started
The first ever Quadchella music festival was held at Fullerton College on September 17, 2015. Photo credit: Sue Hwang

“I created K.A.I.A. wanting a place where I can be creatively free and perform without limitation,” said Kayla Briet, who goes by K.A.I.A. as her stage name. “You can describe my sound as something between electronic and cinematic. I love all music of the world and enjoy mixing genres.”

Briet started off Quadchella with good vibes as her soulful voice captivated the audience.

Dunkle said campus involvement is at an all time low, and many students go to their classes then leave campus right after. Quadchella was a way to create more excitement and involvement on campus. However, Dunkle is passionate about bringing students together and creating fun events in hopes of giving students the college experience that they want.

Students chalk up the quad
Fullerton College Associated Students hosted its first ever Quadchella music festival on campus on September 17, 2015. Photo credit: Sue Hwang

Dunkle said, “We really wanted to incorporate more campus involvement this year…between students, faculty, everyone.”

Learning about the clubs on campus

Overall, Quadchella was a success in bringing together the student body. Events like these open up opportunities for fun experiences to be made and shared. Don’t take the popular catch-phrase “no new friends” too seriously, college is a place to form friendships and create lasting memories, being involved in events like these could really enhance social life on and off campus.