Student tips for a smooth midterm

Midterms are quickly approaching accompanied with higher levels of anxiety and stress. Papers and projects are usually due during this hectic time as well. Trying to keep up with school, jobs, extra-curricular activities and social lives also add to the rising levels of stress.

The following tips and resources may help reduce anxiety and stress caused by the dreaded midterms:

· Time management plays a key part in reducing stress levels. Begin studying a week or two before the test. Set aside an hour each or every other day to read a chapter or review notes. This minimizes the amount of studying needed the day before the test.

· Take advantage of the professor’s office hours to go ask questions and get clarification on the material for a better understanding of the subject.

· Take a break from studying when feeling overwhelmed by getting some exercise or going for a walk. Exercise is a great way to clear the mind and recharge the body, which allows for an extra burst of energy to continue studying.

· Use group study rooms with classmates. The library on campus has group study rooms available for check out to all students using a student ID. The rooms provide a private study atmosphere and each room is furnished with a large table and white board. Library hours are Monday through Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m., Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

· The Math Lab and Writing Center is free to all students. They provide student/peer tutors, and instructors are available for extra help. Math Lab hours are Monday through Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 8:45 p.m., Friday 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Saturday 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. The Writing Center hours are Monday through Thursday 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

· The night before the midterm, briefly review study material and make sure to get a good night’s sleep. On the day of the test, allow enough time to eat breakfast. Fuel your body by eating nutritious food throughout the day to maintain the high energy level needed to do well on test day.

· Try to leave for school earlier than usual to allow for time to find parking, buy Scantrons and arrive early to class to fit in a few extra minutes to review notes and relax.

By following these simple tips, successful passing of midterms can be done with minimal stress.

Just remember that once midterms are over, the semester is halfway done. Good luck on midterms!