Retired faculty help build past, centennial future

Dozens of retired faculty returned Saturday for the Fullerton College Foundation’s annual banquet. The luncheon was not only a “thank-you” to the teachers and staff that have contributed to the school, but also to showcase the upcoming events for the year.

“This is a way of letting them know we appreciate their generosity,” said Nissa Newton, development manager for the foundation. “And it gives them the opportunity to see other colleagues that they might not get to see that often.”

Fullerton College President Dr. Rajen Vurdien spoke at the luncheon to tell everyone that thanks to their hard work, a new scholarship has been introduced this year.

“The work that you have done is the type of work that makes the whole of Orange County, California, and the whole country proud,” Vurdien said. “The students that you have taught have gone on to be leaders.”

The Foundation’s staff was eager to inform everyone on the fruits of their donations to the campus. The scholarship process, which begins this week, will be awarding almost $250,000 to approximately 400 students.

The brand- new scholarship system they hope will better match students to the scholarships that will help them most.

During the banquet the Fullerton College Chamber Singers were given a donation for an upcoming trip after a performance of “The Long Road.”

This year’s centennial celebration is going to play a large role this year and the banquet was no exception. The tables were dressed in blue and yellow, along the walls were paintings from students and plans for campus improvements.

Among the plans are a return of the Hornet sculpture that used to sit on the Quad and several artist installations around campus.

“A question that was put to me several times by alumnus, ‘that’s great all the stuff you did for a hundred years,” said Dean of Fine Arts Bob Jensen. “’But what are you going to be tomorrow?’ and we want to answer that question.”