Transfer Awareness Week begins for transfer hopefuls

The Cadena Transfer Center will host several events during Transfer Awareness Week beginning Monday Oct. 19-23 to prepare students for the Fall 2016 transfer application deadlines.

Important transferring dates for students interested in Fall 2016 transfer:

• Oct. 1, CSUs began accepting applications for Fall 2016.
  • Nov. 1, UCs will start accepting applications.
  • Nov. 30 is the DEADLINE to apply for Fall 2016 to both CSUs and UCs.

Appointments with a counselor can be made at the transfer center on Mondays starting at 8 a.m. for a 45 minute session. The session time will be with a transfer-trained counselor that can answer any questions and see if the student meets the transferring criteria. Students can also make appointments with an academic counselor at the Counseling Center above the bookstore.

Monday will begin transfer week with Transfer Basics 101 in Room 212 from 2-3 p.m. The class will inform students about admission requirements, selection criteria and tips to be a successful transfer student.

Tuesday’s events will include a special University of California, Berkeley Virtual Workshop that will explain its admissions requirements and selection process from 12-1 p.m. The Transfer Basics 201 is a 2-3 p.m. class on competitive admissions that will help guide student-transfers into impacted and selective institutions. The day ends with a “Hot Chocolate Mixer” held from 5-7 p.m. which will allow students to converse with FC transfer alumni. Each event will be held in room 212.

Wednesday will be the most important day because of the annual College Fair. It will be held on the Quad from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. and students will be able to approach representatives from CSU, UC, private and out-of-state universities. There will also be a UC Admissions Panel held in Room 224 from 1:30-3 p.m.

Thursday will hold the final Transfer Basics classes, 301 and 501 in Room 212. From 12-1 p.m., Transfer Basics 301 will inform students about special programs and guaranteed admissions agreements. Also, 501 from 3-4 p.m. will talk about financial aid and budgeting for university expenses.

Transfer Awareness Week will close Friday with a University of California, Los Angeles Transfer Conference that requires an online registration and transportation reservation in which both can be made in Room 212. A $5 refundable deposit is required, but the event will have a student panel, workshops, info-fair and tours.

All students are encouraged to visit the Cadena Transfer Center for guidance and information for their current and continuing school careers.

The Cadena Transfer Center is located in Room 212 next to the cafeteria. Fall 2015 Office Hours are as follows:

• Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  • Tuesday 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
  • Friday 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.