Men’s water polo soundly routes Panthers

Paul Wirth (Costa Mesa Tournament)
Paul Wirth gears his arm for a shot on goal.

The Fullerton College Hornets executed their game plan Wednesday night, in route to an 11-3 victory over the Chaffey Panthers.

Fullerton (10-2) came into the match feeling confident after picking up two wins in last weekend’s tournament at Mt. San Antonio College. Their only loss came against Orange Coast College.

The game began with a breakaway score by freshman Trevor Birkbeck at the 6 minute mark to put Fullerton ahead 1-0. It was a glimpse of the speed that the Hornets would display throughout the game.

Freshman Joe Feaster followed that with another goal less than two minutes later and by the end of the quarter the Hornet’s were on top 5-0. Birkbeck and Feaster each had two goals and sophomore Zack Parker added one.

“Scoring isn’t easy, you have to work hard to get goals,” said Feaster, who scored four goals on the night. “It’s how hard you want to work and if you want to push yourself to your limit.”

The second quarter began just as fast with Feaster scoring 14 seconds after the break. Freshman Jacob Moore also contributed with a backhand shot two minutes later and the rout was on.

The half would end with Fullerton on top 8-1 with another score Joe Feaster and Chaffey’s first goal by freshman Matt Wong.

“We really worked together as a team to put them away [in the first half],” said Moore.

The start of the 3rd quarter repeated the same pattern. Two quick goals from freshmen Drew Eastman and Phillip Walswick put Fullerton on top 10-1. The rest of the game would be in the hands of Fullerton’s second string players who only allowed two goals.

“The key to playing well is always defense,” said Feaster. “We were crashing back and making steals on defense, that’s why we won.”

However, it would his brother, freshman goalie, Sam Feaster who could be credited with keeping the team confident but not cocky. In addition to Sam’s 20 saves in this game, his direction in the pool was just as valuable.

“We played to our potential. A higher level of water polo,” said Sam Feaster.

Coach Rhett Price will hope that his team will continue to stay as focused as they were against the Panthers.

“We just played smart, countered, and passed well,” said Price. “It was really a fundamental game.”

The Hornets head to San Diego for the Mesa Tournament this weekend. Once there, they will play four games over Friday and Saturday.