Veterans remembered with memorial at Fullerton College

Fullerton College welcomed the Global War on Terror Wall of Remembrance to the campus Quad on Monday, Nov. 4. The wall serves as a traveling memorial to pay tribute to soldiers and civilians that have died due to the War on Terror.

Protect
A United States Army man stands guard in to keep people from tampering or vandalizing the Global War on Terror Wall of Remembrance. Photo credit: Patrick Quirk

On one side, the wall educates viewers with a giant, full color timeline that begins in 1983 and ends at present day. On the other side, the wall lists over 10,000 names including those who died in the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001, and fallen armed service members over the last 30 years.

Duty
United States Marine Corps veteran Tim Jackson stands in front of the Global War on Terror Wall of Remembrance. Photo credit: Patrick Quirk

The memorial wall was founded by Richard Nichols Jr. and designed by David Brown. The wall made its debut in Anaheim on September 2011, on the 10th year anniversary of the attack on the World Trade Center.

Since then, the wall has traveled over 85,000 miles and to 35 states transported primarily with a truck and trailer by driver and curator Derek Hendershot.

Transport
The Global War on Terror Wall of Remembrance truck and trailer is pulled on to campus before the wall is taken to its next location. Photo credit: Patrick Quirk

Hendershot says that the best part of curating the wall is the drive in that takes place before each set up. Local veterans ride up with their motorcycles to pay a ceremonial tribute to the names on the wall.

“When we do this, we are escorting our fallen in. This becomes a sacred ground,” Hendershot said. “I know most people don’t understand that but to [veterans] that wall, that whole vicinity is sacred ground.”

Battle Cross
A battle cross sits in front of the Global War on Terror Wall of Remembrance. Photo credit: Patrick Quirk

The wall itself takes around 2 hours to set up and consists of 32 panels.

Honor Wall
The Global War on Terror Wall of Remembrance stands in Fullerton Colleges quad for the community to observe. Photo credit: Patrick Quirk

Once standing, the wall impacted and sparked interest of those who passed by until dusk on Thursday, Nov. 4.

Crowd
A crowd of Fullerton College students gathers to read the time line on The Global War on Terror Wall of Remembrance. Photo credit: Patrick Quirk

“I think it’s good that the school takes the initiative to remember all these good people that defended our nation for many, many years,” Fullerton College student Carlos Bahena said.

A final candle lighting ceremony took place just before the wall was taken down and taken to its next location.

Heroes
Wall curator Derek Hendershot pays tribute to the men and women who gave their lives in service to their country during the candle lit ceremony. Photo credit: Patrick Quirk

As this memorial continues to grow and see more locations, Hendershot hopes that a new wall is on its way to raise more awareness about the mental illness that many veterans continue to deal with every day.

Candles
Spectators participate in a candle lighting ceremony to honor those who have been lost to global terrorism. Photo credit: Patrick Quirk

“We want to combat the mental side and pain of veteran suicides, which are 22 a day,” Hendershot said. “This wall is like a front porch; it brings out resources and allows people to heal.”

Honor
A Fullerton College Student stares at the battle cross in front of the Global War on Terror Wall of Remembrance. Photo credit: Patrick Quirk

Until then, the wall will continue to bring people and veterans alike together to pay tribute to those who were lost defending the nation or as victims of acts of terror, and travel wherever it can find a safe environment.

Remind
Spectators read the historical time line on the Global War on Terror Wall of Remembrance. Photo credit: Patrick Quirk