Students will participate in campus active shooter drill

What would you do
Photo credit: YouTube

Fullerton College will conduct an active shooter drill Thursday, April 14, during the morning and night to practice necessary safety measures mandated for a real situation.

The morning drill will start at 10 a.m. while the evening drill will start at 7:30 p.m.

A campus safety officer will initiate the drill by releasing an audio broadcast, alerting the campus through phones, classrooms, and offices.

“When we do give the announcements out, we expect people to react accordingly,” director of Campus Safety Department Steven Selby said.

Lisa McPheron, director of campus communications, will then press send on the text, email, and voicemail communications.

“We use a [communications] system called Regroup for mass alerts through cellphones,” McPheron said.

After she triggers the three points of contact through Regroup, the students will be directed to watch a nearly 20-minute video called “Shots Fired.”

This will walk them through what to do in the case of an active shooter.

“The idea is that after people finish watching the video, they have a conversation, assess their own environment, and talk about what they would do in the event of an active shooter,” McPheron said.

After the clip, the campus safety officer will get back on the broadcast and end the drill, signaling McPheron to send out another round of “emergency test messages” notifying the campus that the drill is over.

Unlike the morning drill, the evening drill will not test the emergency alerts system..

The procedure also encourages faculty to discuss the lock down drill with students and identify areas for improvement with a critique form. The critique form is for everyone on campus to voice their thoughts on the drill, which will be handed to the dean and finally, to Selby.

“It gives us an opportunity to hear from people that have exercised this process and get ideas on how we can improve this,” Selby said.

Selby said that each year they’ve changed protocol based on feedback..

In light of the multiple mass shootings that have devastated college campuses in recent years, the active shooter drill will reinstate the importance of keeping the college community safe.

“When you look at risk and threat on the campus community, how do you keep people safe? This is a huge ingrowing problem across the United States,” Selby said. “It’s important to keep people safe.”