Take a Walk in Her Shoes

Fullerton College put on a Walk in Her Shoes event on Tuesday to promote awareness and prevention of sexual violence against women.

The Beginning
Male students leading the walk display a sign with a statistic on rape. Photo credit: Madalyn Amato

A Walk in Her Shoes was sponsored by AGS (Alpha Gamma Sigma), an honors society on campus and has been sponsoring the event for the past few years. Leyah, a member of the society and coordinator for the event, said she feels the event is so important because it allows people to know that “there is help out there.”

Jack Lam, co-founder of Q-POC (Queer People of Color) club, was part of coordinating the Walk in Her Shoes event. Donning heels himself, he not only hosted the event but also walked in it.

His hope was that students would recognize the danger of sexual assault on campus. Lam did say that he is pleased with how Fullerton College handles assault cases, with their published weekly reports as well as updates for more serious incidents.

Jack Lam
Jack Lam, founder and President of Q-POC (Queer People of Color) club on campus, announces the names of both staff and students who will be participating in the event. Photo credit: Madalyn Amato

Jodi Balma, a professor of political science, was the faculty member behind the event. Balma feels that the event is important to hold on college campuses to not only give men a chance to be an ally, but to also make all aware of the threat women face everyday.

Chris Lin, 20, is a math major, and was inspired to join the walk by the lack of awareness there is in society around violence of all kinds.

“A mile in another person’s shoes has a lot of perspective in it,” Lin said, fidgeting in his blue-studded stilettos. He hopes that no matter how hard the walk before him may be, that if the event reaches one person, it’ll all be worth it.

Alumna Holly McCrary started Strength Against Violence after being viciously attacked by her ex-boyfriend. She too was there to provide support and resources to those that need it.

McCrary said she was excited to see the men participate and hoped she could help as many people as possible.

The Group
Males students and a staff take a quick break from practicing in their new heels to smile for the cameras. Photo credit: Madalyn Amato

According to Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network, RAINN, the problem of abuse and violence is a growing one.

Someone who recognized this problem was Frank Baird who founded the nonprofit organization Walk a Mile in Her Shoes: The International Men’s March to Stop Rape, Sexual Assault, and Gender Violence in 2001.

Since then, college organizations have been putting on walks to promote awareness and prevention of sexual assaults.

To find out more information about the organization, click here.

Jim McKamy, Public Information Officer for campus safety, said that he thinks the Clothesline as well as the Walk are both good events and really “tell the story”. With a table of their own campus safety provided handouts with safety tips as well as the “10 Things You Need to Know About Sexual Assault” for both men and women.

For more tips and safety information, visit the campus safety website.

“You can’t really understand another person’s experience until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes”. All those who took part in today’s events, including Fullerton College President Greg Schulz who was the first president to ever participate, were there for the same reason: to spread awareness and help fight against violence.

End of the Walk
Students and staff congratulate one another after all participants finish their lap around the quad. Photo credit: Madalyn Amato