5th annual WorldFest unleashes cultural diversity and global awareness

The 5th annual WorldFest surrounded the Fullerton College quad on

Laughter
Fullerton College student enjoys a game where you have to match the right name to each state. Photo credit: Christian Fletcher

Thursday, April 21. Its purpose was

to celebrate the joys of diversity and global issues that affect the environment.

WorldFest is a campus-wide event that celebrates the “people, culture, and Earth” and encourages anyone who is passionate about a certain issue to participate according to Vince White, coordinator of the Cadena Cultural and Transfer Center.

Enduring a four-month process, WorldFest was able to merge together with the help of ten “core folks” consisting of faculty as well as the Inter-Club Council and the Associated Students body.

“The main thing is reaching out to clubs and letting them know about this event. I try to keep them updated about specifics and refer them to the transfer center since this is their event,” ICC President Scott Begneski said.

Justine Banal
A.S. Vice President Justine Banal was one of the two emcees for the day. Photo credit: Christian Fletcher

WorldFest started at 10 a.m., allowing attendees to wander around booths representing numerous student-run clubs, engage with students showcasing their projects, participate in games, and even try diverse foods from all over the world.

Live performances like Zumba also graced the center stage, even nudging FC President Greg Schulz to join.

Sodexo introduced a brand-new diverse menu, featuring dishes like a vegetarian pita sandwich from the Middle East, chicken with celery and cream from Russia and Peri Peri Chicken from Africa.

WorldFest menu by Sodexo
Foods from various parts of the world were available for students to try. Photo credit: Helena Kim

Sodexo’s general manager Eddie Correa said the menu changes every year.

“It’s a lot of involvement for this particular menu because it’s foods from all over the world. Sodexo employees learn what it takes to prepare foods for each country. It’s a culinary education for our team,” Correa said.

Spurred by the chalk art contest, participants covered the cement with vivid art that came to life with their incredible talents.

A major difference from that of last year was the inclusion of artisanal vendors and non-profit organizations. Ethnic clothing, jewelry and various trinkets decorated the vendor booths, attracting nearby students to stop by.

Chalk Art
Art major Andres Martinez takes on the Chalk Art contest. Photo credit: Helena Kim

“The newest type of collaboration between Vince and I was when we decided to bring in vendors and non-profit organizations just to make the event more full, fun, and to bring in more people,” Lisa McPheron, Director of Campus Communications, said.

Among several non-profit organizations occupying WorldFest, OC

United’s overarching theme was unending love and care for the community.

Project management intern Brandon Morales said, “Our sole purpose [of OC United] is to unite all the different

Vendors
Vendors were the newest addition to this year’s WorldFest to invite more students. Photo credit: Christian Fletcher

corners of our community, whether it’s our businesses, schools, local city government, churches, and other faith communities.”

Different initiatives throughout the year included foster and adopt care, homeless ministries, and working in local developing neighborhoods.

In addition to non-profits, attendees were able to mingle with Ethnic studies students discussing racial stereotypes and cultural diversity.

OC United
OC United is a non-profit organization that thrives on spreading love and care for the community. Photo credit: Christian Fletcher

Communications major Stephanie Gandarilla from Chicano Studies addressed common stereotypes that target Latinos on a regular basis.

“Stereotypes like ‘[Latina] women are sexy and thick’ are portrayed in film and popular culture, but they don’t really symbolize them,” Gandarilla said.

Students were given the opportunity to write down their personal experiences with racial stereotypes on a white banner. Participants were given Mexican candy afterwards.

Chicano Studies
Attendees were encouraged to write down their own stereotypes they struggled with. Photo credit: Helena Kim

Schulz said he was grateful to the hardworking faculty and students who made WorldFest possible.

“WorldFest is a wonderful tradition to celebrate our cultures and tradition, bringing the whole campus together,” Schulz said.