Fullerton College steps into the past with ‘Ragtime’

Ragtime_PhotoCall_2013Oct06_9818.jpg

The Fullerton College theatre department has been preparing since August for their newest play entitled “Ragtime.”

“’Ragtime’ is thoroughly prepared due to the diligent study on behalf of the cast on this early American time period,” said Gary Krinke, theatre arts professor and director of the play. “The necessary character background study as many of these cast members represent historical figures.”

The theme of “Ragtime” really ties in to the centennial celebration that has been going on campus since last semester.

“I think it is very clever and festive and adds a whole new meaning to school spirit,” said Jazlin Lewis, theatre major. “I expect it to go well.”

Lewis will be performing as part of the Harlem ensemble.

Ragtime_PhotoCall_2013Oct06_9856.jpg

“I think the script and score are brilliant as it is not only a powerful portrait of life in turn-of-the-century America, but is a relevant tale for today,” said Krinke.

With opening day being next week, students are putting the finishing touches on the sets and costumes, and perfecting their scenes.

Designed by Kevin Clowes, this is the largest set ever constructed on the Fullerton College stage. It is also the largest number of costumes accrued for any project, as coordinated by Mela Hoyt-Heydon, and the largest orchestra assembled, under the direction of Dr. Tony Massaferro.

Students are excited to put on the show and expect great things from the lead actors.

“[…]For the audience to love all of the leads,” said Mason Banks, theatre major at Irvine Valley College, “I think the set is going to wow them.”

Brittany Logan, music major, is playing the role of Sarah in “Ragtime”.

“I’m excited for the energy the audience will give off and all of the excitement,” said Logan.

The students participating in the production rehearse four days a week, Sunday through Wednesday.

Ragtime_PhotoCall_2013Oct06_0103.jpg

“Everyone has prepped so fast. We take a couple of minutes to run over lines and by the next time they have to be perfect,” said Logan, “Everyone works so hard.”

With a week left, the full “Ragtime” production is finally starting to take shape.

“At this point in the preparation we are trying to put everything together,” said Lewis, “Next week is the first day we sing with the orchestra.”

Although they may feel nervous, students feel well prepared and are ready for the show.

“[…] Nerves, always. But I know once the orchestra plays they’ll go away,” said Logan.

Opening day for the play is next Thursday, October 17.

“’Ragtime’ is a perfect example of an interdisciplinary effort as the theatre and music departments collaborated to become the major centerpiece for the Fall Centennial Celebration at Fullerton College,” said Krinke, “The college was founded in the same era as ‘Ragtime’ is set and both clearly identify the joys and struggles to succeed at the turn of the century in America.”

Ragtime_PhotoCall_2013Oct06_9997.jpg