Large donations were given to the Fullerton College Food Bank during Love Fullerton Serve Day

A total of 2,000 items were donated to the Fullerton College Food Bank on

Fullerton Loves FC!
FC Director of Health Services Vanessa Miller, Maya String, Natalia Ivañez and Administer Derek Vergara stand outside Albertsons supermarket collecting donations for the FC Food Bank on Saturday, April 30. Photo credit: Oscar Barajas

Saturday during Love Fullerton Serve Day. Faculty, students and administrators gathered outside supermarkets to collect donations.

“Donations go by really fast,” food bank coordinator Jullian Cardenas said, “we have a lot of students who come in frequently, about 40 visit us each session.”

Cardenas also estimated that a total of 150 students are signed up for FC Food Bank services.

The FC Food Bank is a service for eligible students attending Fullerton College in which they receive free food to help them and their families.

Love Fullerton Serve Day is a city-wide event in which city residents, city leaders, schools and sports organizations gather throughout the entire city to volunteer and give back to their community.

Volunteers for the food bank stood outside Ralphs on Harbor Boulevard and Albertsons on Malvern Avenue handing out flyers to shoppers as they entered the market asking them to donate some of their groceries to the food bank.

At noon when the service projects were completed, all volunteers for Love Fullerton gathered at the FC quad for an after party that included free food provided by Heroes Bar and Grill and Matador Cantina.

There was live music and activities for the children.

Sorting out the Love.
Over 2,000 donations were sorted out by volunteers after service hours were over. Photo credit: Oscar Barajas

While festivities were going on at the quad, the volunteers for the food bank were busy sorting out all the donations that have been delivered to them. By the end the total number of donations added up to 2,000.

This is the first year the food bank participated in Love Fullerton Serve Day.

FC President Greg Schulz was pleased with the amount of donations to the food bank.

“It’s incredible, our hearts are full,” Schulz said, “[it’s] so great that people came together to help our students in need.”

FC Director of Health Services Vanessa Miller was also happy with the inventory they received in a few short hours, simply adding, “We want to give Love Fullerton some love.”

For any students interested in the services rendered by FC Food Bank visit room 1955 between 12 p.m. and 4 p.m. and again between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m.

For more information on the FC Food Bank, visit here.