Timothy Bright takes center stage

Timothy Bright, is set to take the stage as actor number six, in Fullerton College’s production of Dogg’s Hamlet, Cahoot’s Macbeth May 12 to 15.

Tim Bright
Head shot of Timothy Bright Photo credit: Christopher Bright

Growing up in Hawaii Bright was immersed in the theater culture all his life. His grandfather was a theater directer and educator, however, growing up, he did not know he wanted to go into theater.

It was not until he graduated high school, moved out to California to live with his brother and attend Fullerton College for a year that he decided to delve into theater arts.

“I originally moved here because Hawaii in the sense a lot of the times is a rock in the middle of a very isolated area. There’s not a lot of opportunities,” said Bright.

After a year of attending Fullerton College Bright decided to take a theater arts class and from that moment, he was hooked.

Bright is a huge fan of The Bronwyn Dodson Theater, where the play will take place. This is what motivated him to be a part of the production.

“Doing a show in this department is one of the highlights of being in this department by far.” said Bright.

Bright shared the excitement he feels working with the theater department. He expressed that it gives students the opportunity to work with amazing faculty, sets, make up and costume designers.

Dogg’s Hamlet Cahoot’s Macbeth
Tim acting alongside Logan Pawlus in Dogg’s Hamlet Cahoot’s Macbeth at the Fullerton College Theater on Wednesday, May 11. Photo credit: Neddie Facio

With an entire semester to prepare for Dogg’s Hamlet, Cahoot’s Macbeth, Bright and the cast had many table reads, long rehearsals and opportunities to collaborate with one another. From blocking out scenes to the stylistic choices, Bright mentioned that it was very “collaborative.”

As for his personal preparation for his role as actor number six, he said that for every play there is a different process behind it. Bright explained the lack of development in the characters that author Tom Stoppard created in his production which led to a much more creative rehearsal process.

This gave Bright and his fellow actors more freedom to play with the roles given. Both cast and director Jessica Runde took this freedom and were able to play with the idea of language; how language will enhance the characters.

Dogg’s Hamlet, Cahoot’s Macbeth will be Bright’s fourth and last main stage show with the Fullerton College Theater Department as he will be headed to Mason Gross School of the Arts at Rutger’s in New York in the Fall.

The process of getting into a conservatory college looks a lot different than just your typical college application. Bright, along with other hopeful theater department transfer students began their application and the next step was to go out to these schools and audition for their program.

Twelfth Night
Tim and some of the case of Twelfth Night: A Shakespearean Classic at the Fullerton College Theater on on October 8, 2015 Photo credit: Neddie Facio

“I liked that school a lot specifically because they are very global and worldly and also interested in who I was,” said Bright.

The school also studies in London at Shakespeare’s Globe, which Bright also hopes to take advantage of that program one day.

As the school year is coming to a close and students will have to part ways with their friends, Bright says he will truly miss his “tribe,” his theater friends.

“Yes I’m going to miss doing shows here so much obviously, but saying bye to the families that you build from doing the shows is going to be the most difficult.”

Be sure to watch Bright take the stage in Dogg’s Hamlet, Cahoot’s Macbeth May 12 to 15 at The Bronwyn Dodson Theater.