Last minute goal saves the Hornets from another loss

The Golden West Rustlers came ready to put up a fight with the Hornets being that these two teams are usually equivalent when it comes to standings, skills, and technique.

Destructing the Rustler’s plan, The Hornets dominated the first half with connected passes and physicality as they were up 2-1 within the first 15 minutes of the game.

Both teams battled strongly throughout the entire 90 minute match up.

The Hornets have come a long way since the beginning of their season. The team has started to find their true passion for the game along with connecting with their team to create a game that was a true nail-biter.

The assists for The Hornet goals were the ultimate stars of the final score.

Freshman defender Irene Jimenez put up a miraculous assist on a direct free kick just outside the left of the 18 yard line.

Free Kick
Irene Jimenez #15, takes a free kick in attempts to get a goal against Golden West Photo credit: Christian Mesaros

Freshman defender Brooke Morris was luckily awaiting at the back pole of the goal to finish Jimenez’s assist at the 9th minute of the game.

“The goal would have never happened without teamwork and I’m glad that Brooke was there at the right place at the right time,” Jimenez said.

Sophomore forward Emily Valdez was responsible for the last assist of the game that saved the Hornets from another loss.

Valdez crossed the ball from the right corner of the field in front of the goal making Freshman forward Tatsiana Loscutoff one-time the ball inside the far post of the goal at the 89th minute of the game.

“I was lucky enough to see the open run and shot the ball in a dangerous position so that Tatsiana can one-touch the ball in the net,” Valdez said.

Push Up the Field
Tatsiana Loscutoff #4, dribbling up the field putting pressure on Golden West defense Photo credit: Christian Mesaros

The second goal made unassisted by the Hornets was from Freshman midfielder Marlena Carrillo by a hard shot outside of the 18 yard line into the back corner of the net at the 11th minute of the match.

Assistant coach and goalie trainer for the Hornets Munier Abdo is still extremely hopeful for his team and his goalkeepers despite their record.

Abdo states that he as well as the rest of the coaching staff is doing the best they can with the number of players they have as far as training and getting them recovered for their future games.

“We should have kept the speed in the last five minutes throughout the whole entire game, but these girls battled and worked extremely hard,” Abdo said.

Catch the Hornets play their next game at their home field against Norco College on Friday October 7th at 3:00 p.m.