Motorcyclists: The Smartest People on Campus

Imagine yourself stuck on the 91 with its infamous traffic. You’re on the brink of being late to your 8 a.m. class.

Ready to go
Fullerton College student Noah Jimerson on his motorcycle getting ready go to home on Thursday, October 6, 2016 Photo credit: Neddie Facio

Suddenly you see a motorcycle whiz by you. From your car you see it park with nothing but ease. Yet, you are still on the 91, daydreaming and wishing that were you on that bike.

In our American culture, motorcycles have been the vehicles of rebellion and toughness. We envision the Hell’s Angels of the 1950s, the iconic film Easy Rider and even Daryl Dixon from AMC’s hit TV show, The Walking Dead.

But not every rider is a desperado with a secret. It’s no mystery that bike riders steer into campus every day.

Sure you might hear them rev their engines from across campus, but they don’t do it purposely just to spite you, no matter what it seems like.

Motorcyclists have put in a fairly smart investment in their vehicle, with the benefits out-weighting one prevalent inconvenience.

First, motorcycles virtually cost less than a car. When adding up in total the training, gear, maintenance and insurance for a year, the expenses greatly differ. This is the best option for the broke college student.

It’s most essential to purchase not cheap equipment, but equipment that can keep you alive: a fitted helmet, protective pants, leather jacket and riding boots.

Second, they serve as the best mode of transportation for a college student. Not only do motorcycles get someone from point A to point B, they get you there faster.

What better way to cut time in college than in a motorcycle. Parking is easily obtained and traffic is not a problem when you can lane split or lane share.

Third, motorcyclists can form new relationships based on their commonalities with other riders. Fortunately you won’t be the only one riding to school because there exists a good handful of students who do the same exact thing.

There is a certain vernacular amongst motorcyclists like every group of enthusiasts. There is an exchange of information and stories that a build a connection.

Just as some people name or give a gender to their cars, people are also attached to their motorcycles. The vehicle is in a sense a part of themselves, a part of their story.

“When you see somebody with a helmet, you start a conversation and you’re already connected,” Drew Chatterton, FC student and bike rider, “I’ve met so many friends just from that.”

The only disadvantage most bike riders hate is lugging all their books around campus along with their gear, especially their helmets. But one helmet shouldn’t be that bad to carry everywhere.

When one arrives through the doors of a classroom with leather jacket worn and helmet in hand, the class automatically knows they have a rebel among them.

“To be honest, I feel like a badass,” Chatterton answered when asked about how she felt being a part of a small minority of students on campus.

Motorcycle riding requires true dedication and caution. I have never seen one person riding a motorcycle who didn’t look cool.

View Comments (1)

• N

Noah JimersonOct 13, 2016 at 9:20 pm

Great article J. P. I have to agree with your conclusions. Since switching to a motorcycle as my main means of transportation, I’ve cut travel time down and my road rage isn’t as bad seeing as I can go straight to the front of the line. Thanks for the love.

Reply