College fair prepares students to transfer

The Transfer Center proves to play a very pertinent role in a student’s transfer process.

This center has been helping students for the past 100 years. They provide walk- in counseling, workshops and their biggest event. a college fair where four-year universities come to campus and sell the benefits of their institution.

The college fair this semester will be on Wednesday from 10 a.m to 1p.m. Students will see booths set up on the quad for all FC students gather information. There will be local, private and out-of-state university representatives discussing in detail the programs they have.

“Having representatives here is a huge advantage because students can get their questions answered, they can get the feel for the school, they can get additional information; a lot of students wouldn’t [make visits] out of state, so the representatives come here,” said Aghabi Khalil, student service technician.

The people at the Cadena Transfer Center put in a lot of planning, promotion, organization, staff training, and team work to make this fair happen.

“Last year I went to the college fair because I didn’t have any direction of what schools to apply to after Fullerton College,” said student Jeffrey Keichline. “The people at the booths were a lot more enthusiastic than I thought they would be helping me out.”

In honor of the college fair there is a contest for the faculty named, “show your college spirit” where they must wear a piece of gear representing their favorite college or the college they attended. Throughout the week, whichever department gets the most tallies wins.

Extra workshops are being added due to the univerisities opening up their application submissions, for which the days and times are up individual school’s websites, information which is available at the Transfer Center as well.

These workshops allow the representatives to help students figure out the requirements for transferring to their desired school, calculating their GPA, and figuring out the requirements depending on their major. They also have English professors there to help with student’s personal statements.

It’s never too early to start finding out about universities, so the transferring center encourages any student to go out on Wednesday and get informed.