The end of an era

The Hornet will be moving into a digital only format where updates and news can be accessed and edited 24 hours a day. This move will expedite content through The Hornet mobile app and the redesigned website.

September, 2016 marks the end of an era for The Hornet newspaper. “We must evolve or perish,” said Jay Seidel, professor of journalism.

Since 1922, The Hornet has been a printed resource of news and information, providing insight and awareness into topics that are relevant to students, faculty, alumni and the surrounding Fullerton community.

The decision to transition The Hornet from print to digital was not an easy one for Seidel because of his long personal connection with the Hornet. He is also a veteran editor who came up through the ranks of the print world.

Schools like Santa Barbara City College, Mt. SAC and Ventura College have all moved their newspapers online. Since mainstream news sources and news outlets such as Vice and Buzzfeed have been focusing their energies on digital content, Seidel decided it would be a benefit to move into the future of multimedia journalism.

Seidel has prolonged the transition for several semesters, but now the change must be made. “I’ve seen the writing on the wall,” he said, “I’m a bit melancholy but there is more stuff on the horizon.”

Student apathy played a major role in the decision. Due to the lack of student interest in the physical print paper, a lot of waste accumulated from the newspapers that were left in the blue racks scattered around campus.

Money will be saved from not printing newspapers, which in turn can be used for the acquisition of new technology and resources.

Online applications and technology have made it easier to filter, channel and consume news and information.

“Now we can do stories that involve 4K video, augmented reality and GoPro cameras that capture 360° images and video,” Seidel said, “If you asked me 10 to 20 years ago, I would have said no way, but now anything is possible.”

This change will provide students with an opportunity to learn skills that are useful in today’s world , according to Seidel. The Hornet journalism students will be able to tell current and well-informed stories.

The Hornet staff will continue to provide quality journalism. The pressures of production night, when the newsroom becomes a madhouse of reporters and editors trying to get the newspaper on the racks, will be replaced with a constant flow of content into the new website.

Christian Fletcher, former Apple employee and member of The Hornet staff, will assist in the technological change with Seidel. Both have been working behind the scenes in order to make the transition a fluid experience.

The Hornet website will be going through changes, but will remain intact until the crossover is complete.

The Hornet website will move from hornet.fullcoll.edu to fullertonhornet.edu.

Many new components will be added to the newsroom that will enhance The Hornet staff’s ability to provide a 24-hour news cycle. Kim Cisneros, editor-in-chief of The Hornet, is excited about the change and the new platform that will give the readers a greater overall experience.

“Everyone has a phone in their hand,” Cisneros said, “This will provide a more efficient way to get The Hornet into the hands of the people.”