FC Foundation Seeking Community And Student Support

Originally written for publishing on March 26, 2013.

The Fullerton College Foundation is challenging students and community members to give their input on the future of the school’s Foundation. The Foundation Advisory Board is looking for more members to assist in community outreach and help the Foundation raise funds for the school.

“It’s a great thing that allows not just board members and donors, but also students and community members to give a different point of view,” said Lindsey Gatica, office manager for the Foundation. “We get different input and suggestions on what we could be doing better.”

The Foundation Advisory Board began about three years ago and has grown due to the efforts of the Foundation’s development manager, Nissa Newton. She has been recruiting members from all areas of Fullerton: faculty, staff, students and local businesses.

“It’s a way to support the foundation through finding out information about what we have going on, and helping us make connections out into the community,” said Newton.

Advisory Board members primary duties involve meeting each quarter to discuss the challenges facing the Foundation and assessing the progress made. Secondarily, the board members are asked to serve on fundraising committees and volunteer for events, like the Foundations upcoming partnership with Railroad Days.

“Railroad Days is a huge event for Fullerton. There will be train car exhibits and we will be hosting a barbecue dinner and having a silent auction to raise funds,” Gatica said. “We have events like that to get funds to be able to provide students with scholarships.”

Local businesses have been a key part of the foundation’s growth as well. The contacts the Foundation has made in the community have helped grow support for the Fullerton scholarship process.

“We don’t get a big draw to events. So what we are going to do, now and in the future, is partner with organizations that can bring a big crowd, like Railroad Days,” said Charles Allen, executive director of the Foundation.

The Advisory board is always looking for more members, as the volunteers they get for events allows them to not have to pay for more staff, according to Gatica. This allows more of the funds raised to go student scholarships and school improvements.

For those interested in joining the Foundation board of directors in the future, Nissa Newton wants people to know that the Advisory Board is a great place to start that process.

“We are spreading the message of the value of community colleges,” Newton said. “If you invest in community college education, you get more bang for your buck.”

Students and Fullerton community members interested in the Foundation Advisory Board should contact Nissa Newton at the Foundation offices on North Pomona Avenue or at [email protected].