Are all student services closed on campus?

In a memo sent out by President Schulz last Thursday, he informed students that “student service areas will be open for students who require assistance” beginning Mar. 18. Unfortunately, that is no longer the plan at this time due to the coronavirus.

Fullerton College Campus is closed following the order of the Orange County Health Officer, Dr. Nichole Quick enforcing social distancing.
Fullerton College Campus is closed following the order of the Orange County Health Officer, Dr. Nichole Quick enforcing social distancing. Photo credit: OC Stock Photo

This means the Financial Aid Office, Admissions and Records Office, Student Life and Leadership, Counseling and EOPS that were scheduled to continue, will remain on pause until further notice.

As of Wednesday, Mar. 18, all student support service departments are closed while Fullerton College works on a plan to make these services available to students.

Orange County is following the guidelines of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) guidelines and prohibits group gatherings. People must keep a six-foot distance from one another to prevent the mass spreading of the COVID-19 which is affecting many people but most importantly our campus.

Fullerton College has always offered Smarthinking Online Tutoring 24 hours a day. According to their website, tutoring is available in writing, math (basic math through Calc II), accounting, statistics, finance, economics, biology, physics, chemistry and Spanish. However, during this time they have limited hours. To find out their hours check daily for any changes or updates: https://academicsupport.fullcoll.edu/online-tutoring/.

Along with everything being shut down temporarily, the library does remain closed, however, librarians offer online help with research at https://library.fullcoll.edu/

Students who utilize the Fullerton College Food Bank are being redirected to Pathways of Hope The Hub.
Students who utilize the Fullerton College Food Bank are being redirected to Pathways of Hope The Hub. Photo credit: Nidia Nunez

The Food Bank is allowed to remain open under the new changes as they do provide an essential service, it will not remain open on campus and are following the alignment of the North Orange County Community College District closure.

They are redirecting students who depend on these services to Hub of Hope located just a mile and a half away at 611 South Ford Avenue in Fullerton. They will remain in operation on a day to day basis Monday- Friday from 1-4 p.m. Students can just show up and are allowed to pick up food once a week.

To stay up to date on any changes, students should make sure their email address is updated on their mygateway portal as to receive emails from Fullerton College. A short survey has been sent out by the college to be filled out by students to communicate what their needs may be.

For the time being, Campus Safety is open and assuring the campus stays closed and safe.

View Comments (1)

• D

Damion LloydMar 19, 2020 at 3:37 pm

Thank you for fixing the comments section of your website.

Will every administrator, teacher, adjunct faculty, and staff member (even hourly employees) who has a job at Fullerton College still receive their regularly scheduled paychecks, even though the college campus is officially closed? Can you elaborate?

Good reporting lately by The Hornet.

Reply