Emergency student fund to help Fullerton College students

There have been many life-changing moments for Fullerton College and their students, faculty, and the community of Fullerton. On Mar. 24, in a press release, Mary Calessi, the Fullerton College Foundation Board President, announced that the foundation will assist students who have been affected by COVID-19.

Student emergency fund information
Student emergency fund information Photo credit: Fullerton College

“The fund was started after the campus was closed and the idea came from hearing about similar programs from other local community colleges,” said Chuck Allen, the Foundation Executive Director. Allen and the foundation were able to work with the College Leadership team to support the Fullerton College students.

Just like many people who have been affected by COVID-19, students’ lives have changed drastically by losing their jobs and now do not make enough money to support themselves or their families. Students may now need to home school their child/children, or don’t have the necessary tools or equipment to finish their schoolwork.

Fullerton college foundation
Fullerton college foundation Photo credit: Fullerton College

The Emergency Student Fund hopes to relieve some stress of students in their everyday life. The only way that Fullerton College students can apply for the Emergency Student Fund is through a counselor or faculty member to receive a “fixed one-time $250 payment,” according to Allen.

It’s been incredible what the Fullerton College Foundation has been able to provide to their students. “As of last week, we were able to raise $15,000 and we raised an additional $7,000 over the weekend,” said Allen. The Fullerton College Foundation is changing the lives of various Fullerton College students weekly.

“We know that many Fullerton College students have been severely impacted through the loss of their jobs and those of their families. We’re trying our best to get the word out to our donors so that we can help as many students as possible,” said Allen.

Fullerton College Foundation Board members originally met on campus, but their offices are now located in a small converted bungalow at 315 North Pomona Avenue, shown here in 2010.
Fullerton College Foundation Board members originally met on campus, but their offices are now located in a small converted bungalow at 315 North Pomona Avenue, shown here in 2010. Photo credit: Fullerton College Library

Since the week of Apr. 12, the Fullerton College Foundation has mailed out 59 checks to Fullerton College students and it does not stop there. More checks are expected to be sent out to help struggling FC students.

People also have the option to donate to the fund by mailing a check to the Foundation at P.O. Box 431, Fullerton 92836 by going to www.fullertoncollegescholarships.com