2021 Faculty of the Year: Who will win?

Fullerton College students can make their voice heard by nominating their favorite faculty member for Fullerton College’s Faculty of the Year. The deadline to submit a nomination is February 10th at 4 p.m.

The Nomination Form is simple and to the point.
The Nomination Form is simple and to the point. Photo credit: Joshua Mejia

The process is fairly straight-to-the-point. Students are asked to answer seven basic questions, which shouldn’t take more than five to ten minutes. As a matter of fact, it will probably take longer to read this entire article than to complete the nomination survey.

The only requirement is to be currently completing or have previously completed coursework with the faculty nominee of choice.

Both full-time and part-time faculty members are eligible candidates for Faculty of the Year. Nominees will be contacted and required to submit a 2022 Orange County Teacher of the Year Application packet.

Though the majority of past winners seem to have been professors/instructors who teach General Education courses, any faculty member, despite their program or amount of tenure, can be nominated.

Here are some winners from recent years:

Last year’s winner was Ethnic Studies Professor and Chair, Dr. Amber Rose González.

The winner in 2019 was Geography Professor Aline Gregorio, who was also the 2020 Orange County Teacher of the Year.

Professor Aline Gregorio (far left) was the teacher of the year for 2020.
Professor Aline Gregorio (far left) was the teacher of the year for 2020. Photo credit: Fullerton College

In 2018, English Professor Dr. Miguel Powers, received his second award for Teacher of the Year, his first award being in 2005.

Dr. Miguel Powers during a class lecture.
Dr. Miguel Powers from the English Department won the 2005 and 2018 award. Photo credit: Fullerton College

In 2017, the winner for Fullerton College Teacher of the Year was Dr. Mareike Claassen, Professor of Mathematics and Engineering.

Dr. Mareike Claassen poses with other faculty members after winning her Teacher of the Year award
Dr. Mareike Claassen poses with other faculty members after winning her Faculty of the Year award. Photo credit: Fullerton College

2016’s award went to Natural Sciences Dr. Jo Wen Wu, who was also awarded Teacher of the Year in 2013. She was also one of four winners for the 2017 Hayward Award.

Here Dr. Jo Wen Wu is photographed with flowers after having won the award.
Dr. Jo Wen Wu two time Teacher of the Year winner, having won the award in 2016 and 2013. Photo credit: Fullerton College

The 2015 winner was Economics Professor, Francis Mummery, who received his fourth award for Teacher of the Year that year.

Four-Time Teacher of the Year Winner, Francis Mummery.
Professor Francis Mummery is a four- time Faculty of the Year winner. Photo credit: Fullerton College

Who will win in 2021? It’s up to the students to decide. Support a favorite professor by making sure to submit your nomination before the deadline on Feb. 10 at 4 p.m.

To cast a 2021 Faculty of the Year nomination, click here.